6. I Can Feel Your Heart

Adelina let her legs carry her

Adelina let her legs carry her. She pumped them harder and faster, as fast as they would go. The trees turned into a swirl of greens, browns, and oranges. She forced them to keep carrying her even after they started to burn and ache.

She let her body crumble into a pile of leaves.The forest was thick. It would keep her hidden if she was careful.

After resting her throbbing legs, she let her eyes drift in every direction. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as she stumbled back onto her feet. She began to creep and weave in between the trees. Her legs moved slow and she took her time with each step.

When she looked at her surroundings more clearly, she recognized the area and knew she was close. A small chirp escaped from her dry cracked lips.

She made her way up over the large hill that was planted behind her house and thick with the forest. As she did a gust of smoke began to invade her nose. She coughed and her eyes leaked as the smoke whirled up and around the hill.

"Where is that coming from?" she coughed.

Taking a few deep breaths prior, Adelina broke out into another sprint. She let her body lurche up over the hill and into the clearing. Smoke was becoming more visible and thick with every step she took. Her heart dropped when her eyes landed on where her house used to sit. 

Ashes danced in the wind as the smoke rose from the ground and into the sky.

Gone. Destroyed. Burnt.

Some of the walls still stood, but they leaned slightly.  Adelina could hear the groaning and knew it could all collapse at any moment. 

Was there anything left at all?

She reached down into the ashes as she noticed a half burnt carving of an owl her father had made her for her birthday when she was ten. She had kept it close to her heart always. Stuffing the charred owl into her pocket, Her eyes grazed around the ashes searching for anything else that remained.

"Why has this happened? Who would even do such an awful thing? What did we ever do to deserve this." She shouted into the heavens. 

She was sobbing into her knee's as a dark shadow crept up from behind.

"Adelina!!" Daniel whispered to her trying not to scare her. "Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you, but we have to be quiet. I don't want you to scream again and draw attention to ourselves. I think your scream earlier might have already been heard."

He bent down and grasped her into his arms. 

"We need to get out of here and go someplace safe. It isn't safe for you to be out in the open. I need you to follow me. I have somewhere safe we can go, for now." He whispered into her hair as he held her.

He pulled away and kissed away a tear that rolled onto her face. Daniel grasped on to her frail body and pulled her to her feet. He grabbed her arm and they ran into the protection of the woods.