8. I won't be afraid

Adelina crept to the entrance of the cave,making her way out of the winding cave and into the open

Adelina crept to the entrance of the cave,making her way out of the winding cave and into the open. Peering around the cave wall, she noticed the ground was glazed over. A loud crunch sounded under  her feet as she took careful steps onto the hard grass.

A few seconds later Daniel made his way out of the cave too. He had wanted to talk to Adelina and beg her to reconsider her plan. He knew the two of them wouldn't get far. The hope in her eyes he saw, though, made him change his mind. He would help her, even if they failed. He would do anything to protect her.

He watched her standing outside the cave looking around. His heart sputtered in his chest at her bravery. If only he could be as hopeful and brave like her.

Daniel stepped out of the cave and prowled up to Adelina.

"We need to make sure we do this carefully and cautiously," Daniel whispered into Adelina's ear.

The sensation of his warm breath on her ear gave her tingles through her body and she looked back at him. His deep brown eyes met Adelina's and for a second she considered running back into the cave and spending the rest of their days in hiding. Adelina knew she would never be able to live with herself if she gave up now. The guilt would eat at her till there was nothing left.

"I know. We just have to make it to the shelter I stayed in. We can find cover and maybe come up with a better plan. I don't know, but let's get there first and go from there."

They began to carefully make their way through the woods. The frozen leaves and grass crunched under their feet. There was no way they could be quiet as long as the ground was frosted over like this..

Soon they came upon the remains of Adelina's house. The house was still smoldering. Adelina stands there for a moment taking it in and letting the emotions build up inside of her. She knew the anger would help pusher forward and give her the strength to be brave.

Daniel saw the glistening in Adelina's eyes. He understood her pain. He felt the same awful heartache when he watched his mother screaming his name as she was taken. He felt his breath coming out ragged with the thoughts of his mother. He wished he could be hopeful like Adelina, but after what he saw he wasn't sure there was any hope left.

"Now is when we need to be careful. When we get to the edge we will have to run pretty fast. We will be out in the open" Adelina turned to Daniel and he nods at her. She wants them to be prepared for what happens next.

The adrenaline began to course through their veins. Adelina could hear her blood pumping so fast and the sound was echoing through her ears. She was ready for this. With one final look at each other, they both take off running. The grass in the field had been tall and cut through their skin as they ran.

Adelina saw the spot where the grass was shorter and realized that was where the shelter was. As she fell to the ground she saw a flash of something red up by her house, but couldn't make out what it was. She fell to the ground and waved her hands so Daniel knew to do the same.