13. I Can't Let You Slip Through My Hands

Adelina rested her head on the edge of the satin chair

Adelina rested her head on the edge of the satin chair. Her forehead felt cool against the material and the smell of satin made her forget the rotting corpses around her. She let the air fill her lungs slowly and tried to calm her heart.

Deep breaths Deep breaths, she kept reminding herself.

Don't look up. Keep your head down.

Asmund turned from his brothers and focused his attention on Adelina. He took in her features and noticed her skin was flushed and pale. Her body shook with fear. Pity flashed in his ice blue eyes. He turned his focus away and strode over to his two brothers who also had their dark eyes focused on Adelina, with specks of curiosity glimmering. Asmund moved himself in front of both his brothers in order to gain full attention.

"Give her a minute Falentine. It is a lot to take in and you've made it worse on her already. " Asmund pleaded in a hushed tone.

"She wanted an explanation and I am trying to do is give her EXACTLY what she wanted." Falentine boomed loud enough the entire hall heard him.

Asmund looked behind him and saw Adelina had her eyes focused on the men for a split second before turning them back towards the floor.

"Maybe we should clear out the hall for now. You invited EVERY single demon within these walls, which we never do. You made sure this was a massacre. Are you really that cruel? I know you were trying to scare her but to go this far, really?

"I have guaranteed she will not fall out of line." Falentine responded frankly with not a flicker of sympathy in his tone.

"I think she has been through enough shock for one day. If you insist on throwing information at her let us talk to her about it somewhere private and less gruesome." Taavi argued.

"Neither of you can see what I am doing here. She needs to fear us, for it is the only way. But have it your way, let's take her to our office to speak more."

Falentine side stepped around Asmund and gazed upon Adelina. Her eyes glistened with tears as she met his gaze. She looked innocent and frail in this light. He prowled towards her never letting his gaze drift away from hers. Her head was resting softly on the side of the chair but her eyes never left his.

"Come with me." He said while holding out his hand.

Adelina didn't budge and let the defiance flash into her eyes.

Was he serious?

"And why would I do that? So you can take me somewhere and kill me?"

Falentine's laughter echoed throughout the large hall. Demon's silenced there gruesome chomping in order to see what was taking place.

"If I wanted to kill you I guarantee you that you would be dead by now. I've told you, you won't be physically harmed. We need you. So please stop with your pity party and come with us."