27.You Bleed Me Dry and I Don't Ask Why.

A/N I am so sorry this update took so long. I took a 8 week class and had to deal with that final on top of my internet hasn't been working right since last Sunday and went completely out on Friday. However,  I should be back on a normal schedule now! 

Adelina groaned and a whine escaped her lips as she lifted herself off the scratchy mattress

Adelina groaned and a whine escaped her lips as she lifted herself off the scratchy mattress. She had spent the last few hours in a restless sleep, shivering, shifting, itching, and hurting. The mattress was old and every spring  stuck into her body and scratched at her skin when she shifted. The blanket that laid on top of the bed was thin and barely covered her tiny frame. The concrete walls had kept a chill in the room that hadn't helped her stay warm. Adelina took her aching body and headed towards the tiny square bathroom. As she peered at herself in the mirror, she saw the dark bags that had formed under her eyes and the scratches that lined her body. She stared at each and every mark the mattress had left and anger bubbled up  as heat spread through her body. 

If only she had killed him, but what would have happened to her?

Adelina strolled back into the room and collapsed onto the mattress, her eyes lost focus and she felt hazy as she thought about the engagement party. A knock on the door and the creak that followed broke Adelina out of her trance as a guard stepped in carrying a small tray of food and water. He dropped it on the ground in front of the door and exited the room without even glancing in her direction. 

Adelina scooted her body towards the tray and lifted the food to inspect it. She gagged as a rotten smell hit her nose, her stomach began to churn.  She carefully lifted the lid of the tray and her stomach flipped as a piece of meat oozed with juices that were unrecognizable.  A piece of moldy bread sat in the corner of the tray. Adelina stood quickly and jogged to the bathroom with the tray in hand throwing the contents into the toilet and flushing the contents. Her stomach heaved in pain as she sat down letting her head rest on the cold concrete wall, waiting for her stomach to settle.

Adelina crawled out of the bathroom and laid back down on the mattress, gulping down the water.

"You get used to it, eventually." The voice, Aaron, said from the other side of the wall.

"I'm not sure that is possible. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get used to that."

"You can try to eat the bread. I usually can scrape the mold off. It would give you some food in your stomach and help you keep up your strength."

"How long have you been here?" Silence resonated through the air. 

As the silence grew thicker in the air Adelina began to feel guilt bubble up into her already upset stomach. "I didn't mean to pry; you don't have to answer if you don't want to. It just sounded like you have been here a long time if you said you've gotten used to the food."

"I've lost count of how long I've been here, to be honest. Far too long." His voice came out in a hushed tone and Adelina could hear the sadness seep out of every word.