Folke's Chapter

I know it's been a while. I'm sure most of you can understand with the holidays and how crazy they are. Anyway I promise I'm working on this! Also some exciting news I have been invited again to the Wattpad block party in February!! :) I will be putting up a chapter from my new book "The Zombie King" 

Anyway this isn't really an update. This was the chapter I wrote for Folke for the last Block Party.

Folke-

His blonde hair floated around his body as he sprinted through the trees. The trees swirled around him turning into colors of brown and green. He pumped his legs faster. He needed to

forget. He needed to feel the pain that burned inside his entire body as he ran.

Forget, one word his mind kept repeating.

Forget the past. Forget what happened.

He pushed his body even further until his legs collapsed underneath him. He gasped as he fell onto the hard ground, rolling his body onto his back. His lungs fought to be filled with air. His heart pounded violently in his chest, causing the sound to echo in his ears. The sun shone through the trees and into his eyes as he raised his hand for cover. Memories began to flood in as he laid there on the cold forest floor.

The breeze had been cold that day with the wind whipping his long curly hair around in the wind. Spring had been around the corner, but the chilly weather had been persistent. Folke was outside his house, bundled up tightly with a thick blue coat, woven hat, and gloves his mom had spent hours making.

His dad had put him to work early in the morning feeding the horses and mucking the stalls. His little cheeks and nose had been red and dirt dusted his face. Folke had finished cleaning and was now brushing out his favorite mare, Rosy. She was beautiful and sweet as could be, as she let Folke stroke her long brown mane. She nudged at his hand when he stopped to grab a brush.

"Patience, Rosy." Folke whispered in her ear as he began to brush her.

"Why don't you go help your mother with dinner? I will finish up in here for you and I think you could use a break." His father said as he entered the rust colored barn. He bent down to place a kiss on the top of Folke's head.

"I'll come back with a treat for you Rosy." Folke gave her one last pat.

The horses began to pace nervously as Folke exited the barn, their tails and ears flicking. Folke paused and turned back towards where his father was trying to soothe them. A few of the horses began to kick at their stalls as the nickered and neighed, the sound echoing.

"What has gotten them so riled up?" Folke said walking back over to Rosy who's eyes were shifting back and forth. "It's okay girl."

"I'm not sure what has got them so worked up."

Before his father got the words out, the ground began to rumble underneath them and the sound of gravel crunching in the distance was heard. Folke made his way back to the door, but was stopped by his father's grasp.

"Shhhhh..."His father said as they sat there in silence listening.

The rumble grew closer and a roar followed. The sound of gravel being spit out and flopping around sounded off the barn.

"Folke, I need you to listen to me." His dad grabbed his shoulders making sure folke was facing him. He bent down and stared into Folke's blue eyes. "I need you to run and run fast. Go into the woods and hide for me, okay?" His father's voice broke as he spoke the words.

Eyes wide, Folke nodded, turned and ran out of the barn towards the forest. His legs pumped faster and faster as he made it to the thick line of trees. He tripped over his feet as his eyes struggled to adjust to the sudden loss of sunlight. His heart beat in his chest and his lungs burned with every breath he fought to take. His small body fought to keep moving forward as his legs ached with every step he took.