16. Why Not Watch Me Hurt?

"Step one: Light me on fire

"Step one: Light me on fire. Step two: walk clean away. I won't burn long and evidence of your done wrong will be gone in seconds, I swear."

Adelina stretched and yawned as she woke the next day. Her back had stiffened and her body was sore from the time she spent sleeping on the floor. The carpet was a plush soft white, but flat and hard. She groaned as she pulled her body up and leaned against the white wall behind her. 

Why did I have to fall asleep on the floor, she thought to herself.  She stalked over to the bed and laid herself down.

After a restless hour and her mind replaying the previous day's events, she decided to get up and take a quick shower. She limped, as her body ached with every step, into the shower. Turning the water on, she let her body relax against the tile wall. The hot water glided down her body and relieved her aching muscles. 

She slid down the tiled wall and let her body slump over while the water flowed down her tangled hair and onto her body. Sitting there with her head laying to one side, her thoughts began to circle around in her head. She started thinking about her family and what Daniel had said. 

"What could he have meant by trust no one, even those close." her voice echoed off the shower walls. 

She pondered what he had said, but couldn't make sense of it. She knew better then to trust anyone inside these walls. He had to have known that as well, so why was he warning her? There had to be more to it.

 She sat there longer letting the water turn from hot, luke-warm and then to cold. She shivered as the water slid across her skin and let the cold wake her up from the haze she felt she was in.

She lifted herself up and moved her body out of the shower. She wrapped a soft white towel around her body and opened the door to the room. She walked towards the large closet to the right of the room when she heard someone clear their throat behind her. Startled, she twirled around to face Asmund, who stood by the doorway to her room.

"Seriously, haven't you ever heard of knocking!" She screamed at him, furious that she had no privacy.

"I apologize, as that was rather rude of me. I'm not used to knocking around here so you'll have to excuse me. But I wasn't here for a peep show, I can assure you." He gave her one of his infamous smirks.

"I would, however, like you to take a walk with me. Get dressed. I'll be back in 15." Asmund stated plainly and exited the room.

Adelina was furious, but she still listened and got dressed. Her mind kept telling her that this would be a chance to for her to get some answers.  Asmund seemed to be the only one out of the three brothers who even had half a heart and seemed willing to be honest. She looked through the closet, grabbing a plain gray t-shirt and a pair of jeans. She was in the middle of tying up the laces on the boots she had found when a knock came from the door.