15. Echo in the Emptyness

"Wish upon a star, but do you know what stars are?"

Adelina threw herself towards the metal bars, towards Daniel

Adelina threw herself towards the metal bars, towards Daniel. When he noticed her he was on his feet and limped towards the bars but winced in pain. His entire face was swollen, both eyes blackened. Daniel had blood dripping down his face onto his clothes that were stained in dried blood.

"What happened to you?" she whispered in his ear while she grasped  his body and wound her arm around his waist. She pulled him with all of her strength close as if trying to pull him out.

She felt an arm circle around her waist and pulled her away from Daniel. She grasped onto the bars with all the strength she could muster, but her grip faltered. She was thrown backward into Asmund's chest.

"You two aren't allowed to touch." Asmund said with a dry tone.

"I really don't care what you want. Look, look at what you monsters have done to him.." she bit back a sob that had been trapped in her throat.

"You guys have practically tortured him." Adelina cried out, glaring in Asmunds direction.

"Remember, I don't have to let you see him. I can just take you back to your room right now."

She sneered at him, anger coursing through her body. 

"Fine. Happy?" She stepped towards Daniel, but didn't let her hands lift up towards him.

"I'm going to go grab the rest of our prisoners. I hope you won't do anything stupid and obey the rules. Remember, we are doing you a favor by even letting you see your family."

Adelina didn't respond as she kept her focus on Daniel's battered face. She felt Asmund's eyes linger on her back before the door slammed, the sound echoing through the room.

When she was sure he was gone, she lifted her hand and reached towards the metal bars. She let her fingertips graze Daniel's arm. She moved her fingers up to his face and caressed his cheek.

"What happened?"

"A-delina" he stuttered

"I never thought I would see you again." Daniel said tears escaped out of his brown eyes.

"I have been worried about you. I don't understand what is happening. I have no idea what they want with us, or me or anyone. Are you hurt badly? There is a doctor here. I can see if they will let you see her."

"I doubt they will let me see a doctor, but don't you worry. I am okay. I was roughed up but nothing I won't heal from. Don't worry about me okay? I am just glad to see you. I'm glad you are okay."
He grasped her soft hands and held them up to his lips, gently giving her fingers a kiss.

A door opened to the right and Daniel dropped Adelina's hands, praying that the guard hadn't seen.

Asmund filed in followed by 3 guards. Adelina watched as her family piled in shortly after the guards had entered. Her eyes began to leak with tears that trailed down her face and onto the concrete floor.