28. To A Place Where Love Won't Die.

It's like everything turns into a dream

A dream without an end.

Adelina sat in the corner of the quiet room, biding her time. Her thoughts were swirling around in her head like one big mass. She hadn't even noticed the disgusting food that was delivered, once again, to her room. Adelina strolled over to the tray and plugged her nose before opening the contents. She carried the tray back into the bathroom and emptied its contents into the toilet. She had no desire to even try and eat the rotted, bloody meat or the mold covered bread. Instead she just sipped on the cool water, letting it cool the burning in her body. Her body ached and shivering all night had led to a fever when she awoke.

"You need to eat." Aaron whispered through the vent that connected their rooms.

"Even if I wanted to eat that disgusting food, I can't. I think I caught a fever in the night." Adelina's teeth chattered as she spoke.

"Try to keep yourself as warm as possible. I know that is hard, but you will need your strength."

Adelina curled herself up into a ball and placed the tiny blanket over her. She shut her eyes and let herself drift off into a restless sleep.

The door slammed open as two red horned green skinned guards entered the room. Adelina jolted upright, she scooted her back towards the wall and away from the guards.

"We are here to take you to get cleaned up." The larger one said, his voice was deep and raspy.

She starred at the beastly guard, her mouth hanging open.

"I'm not going to repeat myself. UP NOW!" He boomed and Adelina quickly lifted up and followed the two beast out the door. They walked through multiple doors and stairways. Adelina's legs ached in pain by the time they made their way into a small room. The two guards roughly pushed her in and Adelina staggered almost falling into the room. When she gained her composure she stalked over into the center of the room and starred at the awful creatures, waiting for more directions.

"There is a shower to your right. Someone will be in to get ready but first you clean the filth off yourself." The guard leered at Adelina, making her shift uncomfortably. They both turned and stomped as they exited the room and Adelina heard a click as the door was shut leaving her alone. Her body swayed as she made her way over to the shower as the fever still raked her body. She turned the water on letting it warm up before stepping in and cleansing her body of all the dirt, grime of the cell she had been in, and the blood from all the cuts the mattress springs had made. She washed her hair and finished up before exiting the shower and wrapping herself in a soft long robe that laid on the sink. She exited the room and found Katherine standing by a small chair.

"I'm here to get you ready." Katherine timidly stated.

"So you're here to torture me by trying to tame my hair again." Adelina let out a weak laugh as she walked over to the chair and sat down. Katherine began to try to comb through Adelina's wet hair before using a tool to dry it out. After she was sure it was dry, Katherine took out some oils and ran them into Adelina's hair. She inhaled the sweet scent of lemongrass and oranges. The smell put a smile on her face as memories of the great summers she had shared with her family passed through her mind.

"Your hair is lovely." Katherine said as she smiled down at Adelina.

"When it is tame I guess it can be nice."

"I'm going to put a little bit of make-up on you now to hide some of those cuts okay?" Katherine stated as she pulled out some brushes. Adelina nodded as Katherine began to go to work on all the cuts and bruises her body had acquired. This went on for some time before Katherine stepped back and gave her a quick look-over.

"I think you're ready. Your dress is over there, but the party won't start for a while. For now you can just sit in here just try not to ruin your make up or hair. A guard will be in to get let you know when you should get dressed."

"Okay, thank you Katherine." Adelina arose and went towards the window as Katherine exited the room. She sat there staring out at the garden, longing for the warmth of the sun. Her body was  still shaking in a feverish state as she leaned her head onto the wall and closed her eyes. She wasn't sure how much time had passed but when she opened her eyes Taavi stood over her body with a wicked grin on his face.

"Did you enjoy your nap?"

"Was I not allowed to nap?" Her body began to shake as a chill swept the room.

"Are you okay?" Taavi asked, concern in his voice.

"If you must know, no. I've had a fever since you put me in that awful cell with barely any blankets or warmth. I haven't even eaten in a few days either, so it is safe to say that I'm not exactly okay."

"I brought you your dress that laid over there. Put it on as it should help you stay warm. I'm going to go see Malora and get you some medicine to help with the fever. I will also see about bringing you some real food."

"Why bother?" Adelina glared at him, but Taavi didn't respond as he exited the room. Adelina let her eyes close again before Taavi returned.

"Here is a bowl of soup for you and some medicine. Malora said not to take too much, as it might make you a bit drowsy. Eat and make sure next time someone is here you are dressed as instructed. I'll have someone in here within the hour to bring you down to the ballroom."

Adelina nodded and grabbed the tray. She began to devour the food and warm bread.

"You might want to take it easy. You might make yourself sick." He chuckled and spun on his heel exiting the room.

As Adelina scarfed down the rest of her food, a feeling of dread crept into her spine sending an uncomfortable shiver through her body. She knew what happened at the last one of their events, she knew what they were capable of and she knew what Aaron had told her.

Tonight.

Tonight was the night they would finish the ceremonies.

She had to warn her family!

Tonight was the night they would destroy them all.

She could try to talk some sense into Tessa, but Adelina wasn't sure she could even stomach seeing her. She had to do something, though.

Adelina picked herself up and unwrapped the dress that had been laid out It was white with lace and flowers woven into the bodice. The material was soft and warm as she threw it over her head and onto her body. She stood there staring into the mirror and realized how different this felt from the last. This time there was no twirling and no one to dance with her. The last time she was in the situation she watched her first love be murdered by her sister. Her heart dropped as she realized the event tonight would be worse. Adelina stood there staring at her reflection until the door was thrown open. Falentine stood there as a smile spread across his face.

"You look breathtakingly beautiful." He stated strutting towards her and grabbed her arm. "Are you ready?"

Adelina pulled her arm away and glared into his eyes. "I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

And with one final glance in the mirror she turned and let Falentine lead her out of the room.

She had a feeling deep down that after tonight, she'd never be the same.