31. Stars Crawling out of the Sky

Not edited. I'm not 100% in love with this chapter but it kind of had to happen for the story to move forward. :)

Adelina awoke as thunder rolled outside. She sat straight up in the bed gasping for air. Wiping her forhead clean of the cold sweat that had formed, Adelina lifted herself up out of bed and moved towards the window.

The same nightmare had been haunting her dreams since that night she escaped from the compound. The night she had been rescued by the werewolves which had been exactly a week ago. She sat herself down on the window sill and watched as lightning lit up the sky, followed by a roll of thunder. She sat there for hours staring out into the forest watching as the trees swung back and forth with the wind and the rain glided off the leaves.

"You look like you barely slept." Aaron said as Adelina lurched into the living room. "Nightmares still?"

"Yeah... Where is Madelina?" Adelina asked, changing the subject.

"I'm sure she is out getting some fresh eggs for breakfast this morning."

Aaron had been cheerful since being reunited with his wife, Madelina. She had been there when they had rescued and Adelina was sure they would never let each other go. The love they had was something quite deep and special.

"Are you actually going to get out of the house today?" Aaron questioned. "You've stayed locked up in this house since the incident. Don't you think it is time to get some fresh air? The village we have here has a lovely lake and waterfall. I think you could use some sun too."

"I might." Adelina grumbled. "I'm still a bit weak from blood loss, you know."

"Ah well I think maybe some sun might energize you some. Adelina, you are welcome here for as long as you want, but I don't think keeping yourself locked up inside is healthy. I know what happened back at the compound was awful and I know your family is still there, but you must try to find some kind of peace. Your heart may never heal completely but you can find a bit of happiness somewhere."

"It's just hard." Adelina sniffled. "I watched my sister die in front of my eyes and I couldn't stop it. And I left my parents and sisters behind. I left and ran without them. Do you know how awful this makes me feel?" Adelina had been sulking, but with good reason. She didn't know how to live without them. She wasn't sure how she would ever smile again.

"I know Adelina. I understand."Aaron said walking over to her. "But we are trying to find a way right now back into the compound to rescue your family. We will figure this out okay?"