10. You Followed The Loss of Sound

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires." Shakespeare's 'Macbeth'

Growing up, Adelina and Tessa had gotten into a few fights, but one was worse than any of the others. Tessa had gotten upset for not getting her way and told Adelina her parents only loved her out of sympathy. Tessa also told Adelina none of the kids at school liked her. Adelina had been so hurt by Tessa's words but what truly hurt was when Tessa told her that she hated her. She had run out into the forest by their house without a second thought. She threw herself up and crawled up into a tree. That tree had been her escape, it had been a place of peace. She hid  herself up in the tree until the sky had began to swirl colors of vivid blue and pink.

As she sat in that tree, she thought maybe what Tessa had said was true. Nobody really talked to her at school or in town. She had always felt like an outcast. She cried and cried until her Dad had come and stood at the bottom of the tree.

"We love you. Your sister loves you. She just said that to hurt you but she didn't mean it. You are very special Adelina and you need to know that. Others are always scared of what is different or special. Please come down." He had yelled up at her. 

She had climbed down the tree and had let her dad cradled her for a long time, while she cried. 

Adelina had never understood what he meant by calling her special but that night had always meant something to her. Even though her sister had hurt her, it also make her realize that her Dad would always be there for her. She knew she would never have reason to doubt her parents love again.

And here she was, high up in a tree again. Her eyes faced upwards and she stared into the starry blanket that was above her. She was thinking of that moment when she was young up in that tree. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes, but she blinked them away.

In the forest, Asmund and Falentine listened for any noise or abnormal sounds..

"We will find you. I can promise you that. The longer you make us wait, the angrier I'll get. I don't do nice things when I get angry," Falentine yelled. His patience was starting to wear thin and he could feel angry boiling up inside of him.

His voice sounded heartless and was void of emotions. He would find her. He would always find her. One way or another.

Adelina didn't move from the tree. She would never give them the satisfactions of finding her.

Below her, she saw the men push off a tree and began to walk through the forest and into the dark. When she was sure they were gone, she began to swing herself down and descend. As she threw her leg over one of the lower limbs, her grip faltered. Her arm grasped at the limbs and they ripped at her flesh as she fell. With a silent yelp, she pulled herself up off the muddy ground. Her hand and arm dripped blood onto the dirt below her.