Lost Boy

MICHAEL POV

"Did you see that! That girl just got hit by a truck!"

"It was a car Eddie shut up and get back to work."

"No Marla it was a BIG TRUCK!"

Workers screamed at each other, trying to see the crash. I ran outside and saw the massive crowd surrounding her. I looked around and saw Ashton running full speed toward it. I grabbed his arm before he got any further.

"What are you doing Ash?"

"Please tell me that isn't Blake!"

"What?"

"Blake wanted to go see you at Calum's sister's house but I wanted to come with her so I came out a little after she ran out the door and I heard the truck brake super loud."

You know how if a bomb goes off near you, you can't hear anything? A bomb practically went off in my brain.

I pushed my way through the crowd of interested people. Some let me through, others screamed "Hey" at me. When I got to the center, I fell to my knees as my world collapsed. I could barely hear the sirens of police cars coming down the street but I could hear my heart pounding.

"Blake?" I picked her up in my lap and held her lifeless face.

I tried to keep calm and checked her wrist, she still had a pulse.

"Blake?

Blake!

Blake wake up!

BLAKE PLEASE!

PLEASE!"

She was so close to me,

yet so far away.

I won't stop screaming.

She has to survive.

She can't leave me like this.

"BLAKE!"

The cops grabbed me.

"C'mon son."

"LET ME GO!"

"Please stand up."

"SHE HAS TO BE OKAY SHE HAS TO BE PLEASE! HELP HER!"

"Michael we'll follow the ambulance! Please, we have to get to the car right now!"

I was dragged, pulled, ripped from her side. The circled closed around her and I was growing further and further away from her. I kicked and screamed, but I couldn't hear myself. I couldn't control myself. My heart was fighting against my senses and there was nothing I could do about it.

Soon we were behind the ambulance, and arrived at the hospital. We weren't allowed to follow her, and sent to the waiting room. It was empty.

I paced around the room for 5 minutes until falling into a seat and crying. I cried hard and loud and didn't care who stared. Ashton tried to console me, but I only pushed him away. I didn't want someone else. I wanted Blake. I wanted her with me. I wanted to see her smile and laugh and sing and play her guitar.

For all I know, she stopped breathing minutes ago. And I've already missed my chance to say goodbye.

Through my blurry vision I saw Luke burst through the door. He was pissed, and accusing me. Julia was behind him, her eyes were red and puffy. Calum tried grabbing Luke's arm, but there was no use. He lunged at me with full force, bring me and the chair to our back.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE HER!"

"WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO!"

"SHE WAS LOOKING FOR YOU!"

"GET OFF OF ME!"

"THIS IS YOUR FAULT!"

"NO IT'S NOT!"

"YES IT IS!" He swung at my face, hard. Right after Ashton was able to pick him up and quickly slap him across the face.

"STAND DOWN LUKE! STAND DOWN!"

Luke stayed on the floor in a fetus position. Under his breath he repeated that it was me. That I did it. Calum thanked Ashton for calling him, and they tried to understand it all. Julia came over to me, and helped me up.

"What happened?"

"What did Ashton tell you guys," I barely got out.

"That she got hit."

"Well, that's what happened."

Julia cried. The way I cried only a few minutes ago. Everyone else kept quiet, as if giving her her moment of silence. I was just waiting for the guns to fire and for the doctor to come out and shake their head. But they never did.

We waited the whole night in that room. Waiting for any kind of answer. Julia eventually cried herself to sleep. Calum fell asleep in his chair and Ashton looked off into the distance occasionally. Luke sat next to me. A straight face plastered on and his jaw clenched. His arms were crossed and they stayed that way. In the morning we heard a door open and averted our tired eyes to the doctor who walked up. I jumped to my feet and everyone else followed suit.

"Is she okay?"

"She's in a coma. But she should come out of it soon."

"Can we see her?"

"Maybe you should wait until later on son."

"Please?"

"No."

We drove home in the same car, all five of us. Julia asked if she could spend the night. Luke told her no. She smacked him and walked home. Or maybe she just walked, we don't know if she actually made it home. The rest of the day was silent. We spent the day doing mindless things: eating and watching TV. Luke stayed in his room. We could hear him screaming from time to time.

Then there was knock at the door.

"Who are you."

"I'm Derek, your girlfriend's older brother."

"Nice to meet you." I said.

"Just let me in."

I let him in.

"Tell me everything."

I did. He screamed, cried, then stormed out. I went to my room, and cried. I didn't know I had so many tears, but I did. They didn't stop, and eventually, I couldn't make anymore sounds. I was just in my bed, wishing she was here next to me.

They say she'll be okay, but is that a guarantee? They didn't promise me her well being. What if the last thing I ever said to her were those texts? What if she dies tonight, or now?

The next day I took a cold shower. I couldn't feel any warmth anymore, and I felt sluggish. I couldn't make eye contact with Calum or Ashton, and Luke didn't come near me. I drove to the hospital and asked to go see her. They told me I could only stay for and hour, then showed me to her room. When I peered in through the door window, I saw a guy.

He wasn't a doctor, and he wasn't nurse. I checked down the hallway and saw a red head on the phone. She sounded pissed about something, but I couldn't make out what. She hung up quickly, glanced at me, then walked down the stairs. I looked back inside the room, and he was just standing by her side. He had his hands in his pockets and kept very still.

As quietly as I could, I turned the doorknob. His attention flipped to me in a second and we caught each other's gazes.

"Hi."

"Hi."

I tried to be polite and extend my hand, "I'm Michael."

"I'm Wyatt."