Chapter 1

"So when is he going to come out?" Sam asks biting his lower lip. His fingers were tapping the wooden table rapidly like he always did when he was nervous. I sigh and lean back on the chair I sat in surrounding by my 3 brothers in this crappy restaurant Alex insisted on going to. It was dark, it had the colour brown as a theme and it was very noisy.

"Listen Sam. He'll come out before you know it." Alex says looking over at Sam. He leaned in and put his arms on the table. His soft tone indicating how he did not wanna upset him further.

"Don't lie to him." I say feeling annoyed that he is sugar coating shit for our little brother.

"Nick." Luke says frowning. Clearly, not happy with my attitude. Nothing new there.

"First Sophia gets send to boarding school and now Mason is in jail." Sam says.

''Did you forget dad has been in jail for 5 years now?'' I ask to add it to the list if misery we went through as a family.

I look at Alex who frowns at me. "What did Mason do? Its been a year. I want to know." Sam asks desperate. I knew he was too young to know. Too young to understand. But I wasn't up for lying to him.

"Attempted murder. So..." I tell Sam drinking my beer empty

"Nick." Luke warns again. His tone harsh like say it was going to stop me.

"You keep saying my name. But he is 16 and not a child anymore." I snap back. On a Thursday night, I had better things to do than sit with my 3 brothers while one was in jail and my little sister is in boarding school I am paying for.

The waitress walks over and pulls a pen and notepad out. I did not even look at the menu. But once I take a second look at her, she caught my attention. She was a different kind of pretty. She looked troubled but she had masked that away with a smile plastered on her face. I liked reading people. It was like a hobby.

Dark long hair fell over her shoulders that fell in waves. Her face was heart shaped and her lips were pink and full. They looked very kissable lips. Her eyes matched her dark hair while her long eyelashes batted away. She was short and slim yet it felt like she had curves in the right places. She looked like Mason's type. Her dress was low cut but like the perfect gentleman I was, I kept my eyes to her face.

"Hi, I am Hazel and I will be at your service tonight. Did you guys have a chance to look at the menu yet?"

"No but what would you recommend us?" Alex asks her. I watch as she puts the pen to her lips and then answers us. The end of the pen was chewed so much it was about to fall off. She must be stressed all the time.

"Well, the steak is highly delightful." She says and I clear my throat.

"And perhaps you for dessert?" I ask and she smiles showing me her straight white colgate teeth.

"Unless you have more to offer than a charming personality and pretty face?" She winks and I chuckle.

"Well what is missing from your life?'' I knew it was money because she had a low cut on hoping people would tip her more. Surprisingly people fell into that.

"My rent has been due for about 6 months, my life sucks, but of course what you are going to 'offer' is good sex. Thanks for the offer. I'm going to politely declome."

"All of you want the stake?" She asks and they all nod except for Lucas. "Could I have the vegetarian lasagna?" He asks and she nods. "3 stakes coming right up and a vegetarian lasanga. Any drinks?"

''More beer.'' I tell her.

"Coke please." Sam says. She nods and walks off.

"Do you have to flirt with every girl you see?" Sam asks and I nod once. "Take notes little one." I say finishing the last of my beer.