chapter twenty-three

{ Luke's POV }

After about an hour of letting Quinn sleep, talking to Jess, and five cups of coffee, I just stay up. All night.

Jess kept telling me to sleep because she had enough caffeine to keep her awake for days, but I wouldn't sleep.

I don't know what I'd do if I dozed off and so did she and she slipped away in her sleep. Quinn would be devastated and it would be my fault.

It's currently 7:30 a.m. and Jess is making loads of food. She got bored and it let me catch about 30 minutes of sleep. She's up and moving so there's no way she'd go to sleep.

I crawl on the couch behind Quinn and snuggle up to her. She groans a little and gets comfortable again.

After 30 minutes of sleeping I wake back up to the smell of bacon. I shake Quinn slightly to wake her and receive and unhappy look and attitude.

"Goodmorning, baby girl."

I get a slightly growl and groan in return. It's better than nothing.

"You hungry? Jess made heaps of food."

"Give me a minute." she says in a sassy tone.

I slip my hand under the blanket and pinch the most sensitive area on her thigh.

She lets out a quietly yelp and looks at me.

"Don't get sassy with me." I scold her

She nods and I lean close to kiss her. I pull myself up off the couch and pull Quinn up.

"Eat and then let me check on your hands." I tell her

"Okay." she says quietly.

We walk in the kitchen and greet Jess. She hands us plates already filled full of food.

After eating and conversating with Jess, Quinn and I go upstairs to her bathroom. I make her sit on the counter as I unwrap her knuckles and get out fresh bandages and run water over them.

Quinn winces in pain and tears form in her hazel eyes. Water burns like a bitch over open wounds.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah it just burns really bad." a tear slips down her cheek and onto her thigh.

I shut the water off and hand her a towel to dry off most of her hands and we blow on the wounds. Quinn relaxes her hands and let's me rewrap them.

"It's still pretty early. Do you want to go lay back down?" I ask.

She simply nods and holds her arms out infront of her. I step in between her legs and allow her to wrap them around my waist as I scoop her up by the bum and carry her to her room.

When we reach the bed I gently put her down and cover her up. I then plop down next to her and let out a sigh of relief. I'm beyond exhausted.

I feel cold frail arms wrap themselves around my midsection. I look to my right and see a very tired yet beautiful face. I kiss her on the forehead softly and snuggle up as we drift off to sleep.

{ Quinn's POV }

I wake up to Luke's warm body pressed against mine. He's always so warm. I love it especially because we've reached that time of year where it's cold in the mornings, hotter than satans balls in the day, and cold again at night.

So basically I appreciate Luke's presence in the morning and at night.

He's such a peaceful sleeper, softly snoring with his mouth parted, his breathing slow and deep, his heart beat steady and calming.

He could make any girl feel safe, yet he chose me. Why me?

Luke shifts his body and closes his mouth, taking in a deep breath through his nose.

I poke his rib cage softly,

"Good morning lucifer." I look up at his pale face and smile.

He looks down at me starts to smile.

I feel his lips meet the skin on my forehead. He's always so sweet in the mornings.

"How'd you sleep?" I ask him.

"Great because I was next to you." he says.

"Oh whatever. Don't get all sappy. I need to have a bad boy not a good boy." I wink at him.

"You don't want a bad boy."

"Why not?"

"Because the bad boy I use to be use to treat girls like you as if they were nothing more than a one night stand." he slightly hisses.

I recoil at his statement and let go of him.

"What is your problem? Why are you so pissy all of the sudden?"

"Because you want me to treat you like shit and I'm not going down that road again." Luke states as he gets up and slides his shoes on.

"I'll see you later, Quinn."

I sit up speechless as he exits my bedroom. What happened? It was a joke? Well kind of at least. I don't want a sappy boyfriend all the time, but I don't want to be treated like dirt.

Jess comes up stairs after I hear Luke slam the front door shut.

"Uh what the fuck happened??" Jess exclaims

"I-I I don't know." I spit out

"You need to go catch him before you lose him." Jess scolds slightly.

Without hesitation I grab clean shorts, keys, my shoes, and sprint down stairs, out the door. I see Luke still walking home and run after him.

"Luke!"

He stops dead in his tracks making me do the same from about 10 feet away. He keeps his back to me as I continue.

"Luke.. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I didn't realize you were sensitive about the subject."

"Who did you think I was before us? Some nice guy? Have you met my friends?" he turns around slightly chuckling with anger.

"I-I.."

"Exactly. You don't know. Well for your information I use to fuck any girl I thought was hot, do drugs, and get drunk all the fucking time." He spits

"I bet you've never been to jail though." I spit back as I start to feel myself get upset.

"What?"

"You heard me Luke. I didn't fucking stutter."

"No. No I haven't."

"Well I have so go suck a dick and get over yourself. I've been through worse shit than you." I turn on my heels as I hear footsteps behind me.

Luke grabs my arm ruffly as he whips me back around to face him.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"I've been arrested multiple times. Most for rearranging a dumb bitches face or possession of drugs."

"And you yelled at me for doing drugs yet you use to get arrested for that shit."

"You wouldn't understand." I yank my arm away from him and walk back to my house quickly as Jess watches everything unfold from the porch.