24: What's Good For You

LPOV

It didn't take long for the Authority to put their plan into effect and a few hours before daylight the largest TruBlood factory in the world was in flames. Salome called us into the main chamber to see the news broadcast. When I entered behind Eric I realized there was a man tied to the table, Salome's version of a celebratory feast. I glanced at Eric nervously.

"You're going to have to feed on him," Eric thought to me as Salome went on about how great it was that the vampires were finally getting back to the way they were supposed to be. I wanted to turn to him and say that there was no way I was going to be able to do that but I couldn't draw attention to myself and so I just squeezed his hand tightly.

"Should someone say grace?" Russell asked. "Northman?"

"Prayer is a bit of a foreign concept to me, perhaps someone with more practice should do it," Eric said. "If you don't Salome will know something is wrong. Don't drink much and don't throw up."

Salome finished up her prayer to Lilith and they all dived in. I tried to back away when the metallic scent of blood hit the air but Eric grabbed me and pulled me down. Reluctantly I popped my fangs out and stuck my teeth into the man's flesh. The awful red liquid filled my mouth and it was all I could do not to start gagging. Thankfully the man was drained quickly.

"I'm going to go freshen up," I stammered before darting out of the hall and towards the only restroom in the underground facility. I knelt over the toilet and vomited until there wasn't anything left. I groaned and stood up. I barely managed to grip the sides of the stall before my legs gave out. I suddenly felt extremely light headed and let myself slide back down. I wondered if I was going to die of starvation. After all how long can a vampire who can't keep down blood actually survive.

I made it back to my room in one piece by some miracle and dropped into my bed with a thud. The door opened moments later and I opened my eyes enough to make sure it wasn't Salome. Though it wouldn't have mattered if it was, I didn't think I could act like I was alright. Luckily it was only Eric who was holding something in a black bag. He sat on the edge of my bed and pulled out a case of TruBlood and opened one of the bottles. "Try this," he said trying to ease me up into sitting position.

"I can't drink that," I said.

"Just try." He looked so worried I decided to give it a chance, if I threw up again so be it. I took a tiny sip at first and then a bit larger one. The synthetic blood was sweeter and thinner than the real stuff and I found the taste wasn't entirely unpleasant. Rachel had told me she had tried one of Bill's bottles one time when we'd first started living with him and that it had just been a little unpleasant but not horrible, she was right.

"It doesn't taste the same; I think I can finish it." I took the bottle out of his hands and drank it more quickly. It was the first thing I'd been able to drink in days and I was parched.

"Human food may still help you but we have no way of testing that, not to mention there isn't any way to get it down here, so that's out. TruBlood was the next best thing I could think of. You'll have to hide it, Salome won't be happy if she finds out you're drinking it instead of human blood."

I glanced around for a place to put the remainder of the case. I pointed to one of the statues that I'd learned had a hollow base by kicking it while upset a week or so before. Eric picked it up and stood the case on one end inside.

He came and sat down next to me again. "Are you feeling better?" He asked. I nodded, even though I didn't feel much better. I put my arms around his neck and kissed him. He slid me over so there was more room on the bed and he stretched out next to me. "It's almost daylight, you should rest." I curled up facing him and he brushed his fingers through my hair.