28: The More You Know, The Less You Believe

LPOV

When we got back to Fangtasia I could hear screams coming from inside. We ran inside and found Tara lying on the bar screaming while Pam held her hand. "What happened?" Eric asked.

"They shot her and she's not healing!" Pam cried. The three of us joined Pam by Tara's side and Eric looked at her wound.

"Gunshots aren't supposed to glow like that," I mumbled. Eric pulled the hole and started to reach for the bullet, we all flinched as it burned him. "Silver bullet?"

"Silver bullets don't glow," Nora said. She pushed me aside lightly so she could get a better look.

"Lily, hand me something to get this out with," Eric said. I turned towards the bar looking for a knife or anything sharp. Eric reached past me and grabbed a beer bottle and smashed it into the counter. I closed my eyes as he stuck it into Tara's wound to dig out the bullet. Finally she stopped screaming and I peeked. Everyone was staring at the bullet, clearly made out of sliver but also something else.

"It emits UV rays, like those lights in the Authority," I realized.

"Where would humans get something like this?" Eric asked.

"General Cavanaugh said they were developing new weapons," Nora said.

"Shit, Salome was right, killing him was a stupid move," I said.

Pam turned to face us. "You're saying that the three of you basically caused this whole shit storm in the first place?"

"Bill started it, he bombed the TruBlood factories," I informed her. "But we didn't exactly help prevent it."

"If it weren't for you and your cunt of a sister coming into our lives we never would have ended up here. Do you know how much fucking trouble you've gotten us into?" Pam yelled at me.

"The humans have been planning this for years now; it's not something two human girls could have controlled," Nora said to Pam, surprisingly coming to my defense.

"And you and your fucking Authority destroyed everything! They have fucking weapons and they stole all my shit!" Pam yelled turning her attention to Nora. Eric threw the glass he was holding across the room and it shattered against the bar.

"If the humans want war, we'll give them war," Eric said. "Nora, go through the Bible find out what Bill is."

"We've been through this, there isn't anything there," Nora said.

"Try again!" Eric yelled. He grabbed my arm and yanked me out of Fangtasia. As soon as we were in the parking lot I planted my feet and he stopped.

"Do you at least want to fill me in on what the fuck we're going to do? Because I'm about done with being dragged around and tossed into situations I don't want to be in. I'm half dead because you and Bill wouldn't fucking listen to me."

"We're going to see the governor, is that enough of an explanation?" He asked.

"Yes, thank you," I said tersely.

He wrapped an arm around me to prepare for flight. "I'm about done with you using the "I'm a vampire" card to make me feel bad, in case you were wondering. You aren't that upset about it." As we took off I realized he was right, I wasn't upset about being a vampire. I was upset, however, that no one took a moment to check and see if I was keeping up. I knew he was right though, I had to get over it because I didn't have the luxury of adjustment time. We were at war.

OoOoO

We arrived at the Governor's mansion it looked like he was having a party and people were being checked on the guest list. "How are you going to get past them?" I asked.