39: Fallout

RPOV

I heard yelling downstairs, so I got up. I ran into Jessica at the top of the stairs. Blood tears were welling up in her eyes. "Jess, what's wrong?" I asked.

"I-I caught James and Lafayette having sex in our car!" She practically wailed.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I'm sure that was a huge shock."

"Yeah, you could say that!"

Jason came up the stairs, taking them two at a time. "Jess, you okay? You need to sit down?"

"I don't think I can sit down," she said.

"You guys can sit in my room, I'm done moping for the night. Feel free to take over for me." I walked down stairs. Part of me felt bad for leaving Jessica like that, but the other part of me said, if I got involved in someone else's relationship right now, I wouldn't be able to hold it together.

Lafayette came through the front door and almost ran into me. "Have you seen red?"

"She's upstairs. Congratulations for adding some drama to this party, it needed a little spice." I walked around the house, everyone was so happy. I could hear it in their thoughts. Instead of insulting Sookie they were praising her. They pitied me, but there was also a note of awe, something I wasn't exactly new to, but it was nice to be complimented. I did a loop, getting another glass of Coke in the kitchen before continuing through the living room. I saw Sookie coming in from outside.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked.

"Yeah, getting a little tired tough. Thought this might pep me up," I said. "Looks like you're in a good mood."

"I'm drunk."

"You deserve it after all of this."

"We should get drunk together again," she said. "You're a fun drunk."

"I'll make sure to pencil you in about six months from now." Sookie laughed. "Have you seen Bill?"

"Yeah, he's outside. You better hurry, I think he's about to leave."

"Thanks." I opened the door. Bill was staring off into space. He looked up surprised.

"Hello, Rachel. I haven't seen you tonight."

"I've been out of sorts, to say the least."

"I'm so sorry about what happened to Alcide, I wish that there was something I could have done."

"It wasn't your fault, it wasn't anyone's fault but those awful intolerant people." I shook my head. "I think that's the hardest thing to wrap my mind around. He wasn't killed by Hep V vampires, or in a werewolf fight. He was killed by normal, everyday humans with guns."

"The thing you have to be most scared of isn't supernatural," Bill murmured.

"I hope in a few decades humans will realize there isn't much of a difference between us and them. Maybe this Hep V thing is the first step, in a weird way. I know people are terrified now, but they have to see that it was humans that caused this."

"I see where you're coming from. Hopefully this will open the world's eyes. Hate breeds hate."

"I want a world where my child will be safe, no matter what species she is."

"She?"

"I keep saying that. I don't know, maybe it's a boy, but I have a feeling."

"I hope she gets that world."

Screams from inside got my attention and I ran back into the house. Lafayette was pulling Lettie Mae from the living room. "What's going on?" I asked.