38: Losing Forever

LPOV

We arrived at Amber's house in the middle of the night, of course, since most of us couldn't walk in the sun. I rolled my shoulders, still feeling the need to stretch after being cooped up in the coffin all flight. Eric knocked on the door and a young woman answered a moment later. I noticed the black veins on her chest immediately.

"Amber Mills?" Eric asked. She nodded slowly. "We're here for your sister."

She looked confused. "She's not here, I haven't heard from her in months."

"Then you won't mind us looking around," Pam said. She pushed past Amber and into the house. Amber led us to living room and motioned for us to sit down. Pam flashed in and out of rooms, searching for Sarah.

"I'd offer you all something to drink, but...you know," Amber said sitting down beside me. "Who are you?"

"My name is Eric, this is my progeny Lily, and you already met Pam. You could say we have a sort of history with your sister."

"How'd you become Sarah's best kept secret?" I asked, cutting right to the chase.

She sighed. "I was always the rebel of the family, started fangbanging right out of high school, meanwhile Sarah married Steve Newlin. She flipped her shit when my boyfriend turned me, after all she did marry into Fellowship of the Sun. But, I was her sister, and I was broke, so she paid me to stay in the coffin. Then she went and told the media that her dear little sister had been kidnapped and murdered by vampires. And here I sat, with my boyfriend, watching House Hunter marathons and drinking TruBlood."

"She's not here," Pam said.

"Just like I said."

"What happened to him?" Eric asked, going back to Amber's story.

"Same thing that's happening to us. One day he got sick, and a few months later he was dying in my arms." She shrugged. Eric glanced at me and I looked away. Amber wiped her eyes. "Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I just come out when all the other vampires did. Maybe things would have been different."

"She would have had you killed and never looked back," Eric said. "None of this is your fault, it's your sisters. That's why we're going after her."

"Are you going to kill her?" Amber asked. Eric nodded. "Then you can count me in."

"I like her," Pam and I said at the same time.

"When was the last time you saw your sister?" I asked.

"Oh years ago, but she called here this morning. She said she just got into Dallas and needed a place to crash, I told her to fuck off."

"Where do you think she'll go?" Pam asked.

"Where she always goes, mommy and daddy. She may have ruined the family name, but our parents have always eaten her bullshit right up." She grabbed the newspaper and tossed it in front of us. "They've probably already left for this."

"Looks like we're going to a gala," Pam said.

"You'll never get in, you're vampires. Plus, they only invited assholes."

"Oh you obviously don't know us very well," I mumbled. "We're all kind of assholes."

RPOV

It took me a lot longer than twenty minutes to get dressed. A little makeup turned into a lot of makeup. Plus, right before I got dressed, I decided to curl my hair. Then when I put on my heels, I found a bottle of blue nail polish that matched the dress wedged in the open toe. Jenny certainly knew how to put an outfit together.