31: Welcome To The Fun House

LPOV

Eric and I returned to the meeting place and waited for Tara and Pam in silence. I wasn't mad at him. I was disappointed with myself more than anything. I knew what I was getting myself into when I kissed Eric. I had no one to blame but myself.

Tara rushed towards us. "They took Pam," she said panicked. "The vamp cops got her, just now."

Eric and I pushed away from the wall. "They couldn't have gotten far, we could catch them," I said.

"We'd risk dying on the spot," Tara said.

"Then what do we do?"

"Something even more dangerous," Eric said. He ran and Tara and I followed. Tara led us to the place Pam had been captured. There was a checkpoint set up. We all stopped and Eric looked at us.

"Are you sure about this?" Tara asked. In response he popped out his fangs, Tara did the same. They stepped toward the cops with their hands up. I reluctantly followed their lead.

"Vamps!" One cop yelled. They all had their guns on us in a second. "Stop right there, vampires!"

"No vampires out after curfew," Another cop told us. They surrounded us and held us in their crossfires. "Don't make any moves."

OoOoO

We were loaded into trucks and restrained with silver cuffs, I flinched when the metal burned into my wrists but it only made it worse. Bags were put over our heads, I guess to keep us from glamouring them. Or maybe they put bags over our heads so they wouldn't have to see how human we looked.

Eventually the truck came to a stop and we were pulled out and led into a building. I could read the thoughts of the men around me, some of them were angry, others were terrified, and a small few regretted what they were doing to us. I wanted to single out the last group and ask for their help, but I couldn't even see them. They pushed Tara and I one direction and Eric another. "Find Pam," he mumbled as we were separated.

Before I knew it I had been separated from Tara too. The black bag was removed from my head and I stood in front of a door. The door slid open to reveal a white circular room.

Three other vampires joined me in the middle, each of them looking just as confused as I felt. The only man moved slowly, but purposefully, to one of four red Xs that I hadn't noticed. The rest of us did the same.

From the ceiling a few balls dropped, I reached out and caught one before it hit the ground and looked it over, half expecting it to explode in my hand. The other two balls bounced before the two other women picked them up. A gun popped out of a hole in the wall and shot the man.

And then there were three. This time when two balls fell from the ceiling we were prepared. In the minds of the other girls I could see them make the split second decision as to which ball they should go for, luckily for me it was the same one. I snatched up a ball and watched as the unlucky vampire was shot.

I wasn't prepared for the sliding doors to open, but thankfully neither was the remaining vampire. I reached the gun before she did and shot her. After a second another door opened and I found an outfit with a number 1 patch sewed onto it. I reluctantly changed into the scrubs and deposited my dirt-covered clothing into a bin. When I exited the room I was reunited with Tara. From the expression on her face I could tell she'd gone through the same thing I just had. "Welcome to the fun house," I mumbled. "Enjoy your stay."

Tara and I were shoved into a common area with a bunch of other women. We both surveyed the room. I hoped it would be easy to find Pam, that we'd be able to plan our escape immediately. "She's not in here," I said.