34: Happily Ever After

LPOV

Our little pack of day walking vampires arrived at Bill's. Jessica announced their home was open to everyone. Bill disappeared inside, but I didn't have time to worry about him. I was swept up in the excitement of the other daywalkers. Tara threw her arm around me shoulder. "Can you believe it? We made it out of that hell hole."

I grinned. "Pretty fucking badass!"

Some of the other vampires ripped off their vamp camp issued uniforms and started burning them. Tara unbuttoned her shirt and added it to the fire with a dramatic flourish. "Fuck all of 'em!"

Past the house and through the trees I caught a glimpse of Rachel. I ran to her, she was hugging Alcide and crying. "Are you ok?" I asked, though I should have known from Alcide's beaming smile nothing was wrong.

"Lily!" She squealed and whirled around. Thankfully I didn't need to breathe anymore, because the hug she gave me would have prevented me from doing so. "I haven't seen you since-"

"We caught Russell, I know. That's insane."

"I missed you so much, I'm so glad you're okay!" She held me at arms length then and looked me over, her eyes still red and puffy from crying. "You are okay aren't you?"

"Pristine. Being a vampire really suits me."

"God, that's still so weird," she said. I popped out my fangs and she didn't even flinch. "So weird." She paused. "It's day light. You're walking in the sun."

"Surprise!"

"So you are a day walker like Warlow, I thought you might be. He's so interesting, crazy as hell, but fascinating."

I shuddered, remembering my encounter with him. "Magical fairy blood remains magical even when you're undead." I shrugged. "Oh but in case you see other day walking vampires, you can thank Bill's weird Lilith blood for them. Or maybe he had some of Warlow's blood, I'm not actually sure."

"Lilith as in Vampire Bible Lilith?" Rachel asked.

"You knew about that?"

"I was bored, Pam had a copy. We need to sit down and recap our lives soon. I have a lot of things to tell you. For one, I met our dad." I stared at her. "He's this crazy fairy king, we're basically royalty. You wouldn't like him. He's very no nonsense. Well actually, he reminds me of you, you both kind of have a stick up your ass."

"How kind of you."

"Well, old you did. I guess that kind of changed when you decided to start dating vampires, huh?"

Alcide laughed. "Is that all the news you have for Lily?"

Her eyes widened and she shoved her hand at me. "We're getting married!"

"You didn't even tell me you two got back together! I talked to you two days ago!" I reprimanded.

She shook her head. "It just happened, all of it. Is that crazy?"

I laughed. "Just the right amount of crazy for you, Rachel. That explains all the tears. Engaged in a cemetery, very original. I like it."

"You'll be my maid of honor right?"

"Rachel, please. If I wasn't your maid of honor, you wouldn't be getting married."

She grinned and hugged me again. "God, I'm so happy right now. I honestly don't know if I've ever been this happy in my entire life. Bill! I need to tell Bill! Is he home?"

"Yeah, but he's had a rough day. You should probably let him get some rest. I'll be sure to tell him you have a surprise."

"Don't spoil it!" She insisted.