41: Secrets Are No Fun

RPOV

As the dawn grew closer, Bill went to bed. Jessica followed him up after a while. Bill was already asleep when we got upstairs. "I think I'm just going to stay up, watch him sleep."

"Sleep in here with him," I told her.

"You don't think that's weird?" She asked.

Sookie and I shook our heads. She climbed onto the bed next to him. "Rach, you said not to lose hope, but how can you say that? You heard Bill, there's no cure."

"I meet people everyday that don't believe in miracles," Sookie said. "I just want to shake them. How can you not believe in miracles when they're happening all around us every day?"

"I don't know what we can do to stop this," I told her. "But I believe in miracles, I believe there's one out there for Bill. Don't you?" Jessica nodded.

"Get some rest," Sookie told her. We turned out the lights and left them to sleep.

"Any bright ideas?" I asked.

"There's a doctor, she deals with supernatural illnesses. She's treated me before, maybe she'd have some idea what's going on with Bill." I nodded. "I'll call her," she told me. "You need to call Lily."

Reluctantly I went into the office. I picked up my phone and stared at Lily's contact for a moment before finally calling. "Hey, Rach. How're you doing?"

"Fine," I answered honestly. "I'm alive."

"We are too."

"Good," I said. There was a silence. "Lily, Bill is sick."

"Sick," she repeated. It wasn't a question.

"That night Sookie contracted Hep-V through a cut," I told her. "Bill fed on her."

"And now he's sick."

"He's progressing fast, I guess because Sookie is fae. He's stage three already."

"Okay," she said. "We'll get through this. We're coming back as soon as we can, I promise. I've got to go, Rach. I'll see you soon, love you." She hung up and I was left a little in shock. That wasn't the reaction I was expecting.

OoOoO

When Dr. Ludwig arrived she went right upstairs and got Bill out of bed. When Bill came downstairs he looked annoyed that he'd been woken up. "This is for your own good," I told him. He remained unconvinced.

The doctor inspected him. "Congratulations, Mr. Compton, you've thoroughly grossed me out." She shook her head. "When would you say you contracted the virus?" He looked to Sookie. "I asked the question!" She snapped.

"He contracted the virus through me," Sookie said. "About three nights ago."

Dr. Ludwig stared at her. "Honey, that's not how this virus works. Hate to break it to you, but your lovers been messing around."

"We're not lovers," Bill said.

"Does she know that?"

"Does it help that she's a Halfling?" Bill asked ignoring the question.

"Half what? Half fae?" We all nodded. "I saw a case up in Shreveport, he was progressing quickly stage one to stage three in ten days. I was completely perplexed until he told me that his boyfriend was a Hep-V positive fairy. Not a Halfling, the real deal. Even that vampire wasn't as bad as you." She paused. "Do you happen to know the name of your line?"

"My line?" Sookie asked.

"Yes, missy, your fairy line, your lineage."

Sookie looked at me. I shrugged. "I mean, we could ask Niall."