There Goes the Neighborhood

CHAPTER 8: THERE GOES THE NEIGHBORHOOD

The Gilbert House

Natalie POV

I slept over at Elena's again, because I was still mad at my dad. Stupid, I know. But I'm not ready to forgive him yet. Elena and I had grown a lot closer, and we've actually become slightly like sisters. She told me everything about her life. About her parents dying, to her meeting Stefan and she told me that some things I needed to know of Stefan's past to understand, and that she wouldn't violate his privacy by telling me if he didn't want her to.

So, as I was saying, I was still at Elena's house and I sat in the kitchen, bored out of my mind as I had nothing to do. Caroline was out making out with Matt, Elena had gone out with Jenna, Jeremy wasn't home, so I couldn't bother him.

Then the doorbell rang.

I, of course, ran to open it, wishing that it wasn't some forty year old man talking with a creepy voice, asking if there was anything he could do for me. Yeah, I'm not okay with that.

Thankfully it was only Stefan.

"Hey, Natalie. Still staying here, I see." Stefan said, giving me a small smile.

"Hello, Stefan. And yes, I'm still staying here." I responded, returning his smile.

"Is Elena here?" Stefan asked, frowning once again.

"No, she's out with Jenna, sorry." I shrugged.

"No, it's alright, I'll come back later." he said, but I grabbed his arm.

"Please don't! I'm so bored, and I need entertainment and I'm giving you the honor of entertaining me." I said, giving his a hopeful smile.

"I'm getting the honor, huh?" Stefan asked, tilting his head in amusement.

"Duh, that's what I just said." I rolled my eyes playfully.

"Fine, if it's such a great honor." Stefan smiled at me.

"It is!" I exclaimed.

Stefan just shook his head in amusement at me, before taking a step inside the house.

"How am I supposed to entertain you?" Stefan asked as he followed me into the living room.

I smiled and sat down on, the couch, him following my lead. "Anything."

"Could you be more precise?" Stefan asked.

I thought about it for a moment. "No."

Stefan chuckled.

"Fine, you could... tell me your story." I said, a small smile appearing on my face.

"My story?"

"Yeah, I know I missed the whole 'interrogating your sister's boyfriend' thing, so I could at least know what I'm dealing with." I raised my eyebrows.

"What do you want to know?" Stefan asked.

"Everything."

▹▹▹

"Okay..." I trailed off.

Stefan just explained to me basically his whole life story. It started with some girl who looks exactly like Elena, but named Katherine and is five hundred years old. And it ended with her. Well, as far as he's gotten yet as the reason why Damon was extra weird the night of the raffle (I just think he's always that weird, but, hey, he's Stefan's brother) was because he expected to find her in a tomb, but she wasn't there, she was out and about, totally forgetting about his existence. I almost felt bad for him. Note the almost. He still killed my mom.

"So..." Stefan trailed off, seemingly having no idea what to say either.

"That Katherine chick sounds like a bitch." I commented bluntly.

Stefan chuckled at my bluntness. "She was- I mean, is."

"Now that I know everything about you... I still think that you're a vampire and you should probably be dead-" Stefan's eyes widened at my words. "but if any vampire was going to be dating someone I'm related to I'm glad it's you." I smiled slightly.

"Thank you, I think." Stefan chuckled.

"You're welcome, I also think."

Then Stefan's phone rang, signaling that he was getting a text.

"It's Elena. She wants to meet me." Stefan smiled at me apologetically.

"Dude, she's your girlfriend, not me. Go hang with her." I gestured to the door.

"Alright, I'll see you later, Natalie." he waved.

"Please don't." I said, trying to convince myself to hate him. I mean, I'm a vampire hunter for God's sake! I'm not supposed to like vampires in any way.

And I'm pretty sure Stefan saw what my internal struggle was. "I will." he smiled before walking out the door.

"And, once again, I'm alone." I sighed to myself, leaning back on the couch.

▹▹▹

Then I got a phone call.

"Hey, Nat." Caroline's voice said.

"Hey, Care. Why you calling?" I asked.

"So, Matt and I are going on a date, so we were thinking of going double, so would you like to join?" Caroline asked through the phone.

"Hate to break it to you, but I'm single," I answered.

"I know that, but I could set you up with someone." Caroline said. "Maybe Tyler."

"Do you seriously not remember me rejecting him at the Duke party?" I asked rhetorically.

"I do, but I think you two would be cute together." Caroline said.

"But I think I'm very happy being single." I smiled to myself.

"Then I'm gonna have to ask Stefan and Elena. And Elena is Matt's ex-girlfriend, so it's totally awkward, and I think he still has feelings for her. And, I'm really desperate to get his mind off of her, and onto me, his current girlfriend." Caroline begged.

"I think you should let them be friends. They were best friends before they dated, and I think the only way for them to go back to that is if you let them hang out, if not they'll just be... remembering each other from when they dated, but if you let them hang they'll become friends again, and they'll go deeper in that direction." I advised.

"Okay." Caroline responded. It was silent for a second. "Nat?"

"Yeah?" I asked.

"You're a good friend." she responded.

"Thanks."

A/N: Sorry it was so short, but I'll make it up to you with the next chapter which will be full of action as it is the episode where Stefan gets tortured and Damon, Elena and Alaric saves him, and Natalie will have hard time. Next chapter is also going to be a turning point in Stefan and Natalie's relationship.
Word count: 1040