The New Deal

CHAPTER 46: THE NEW DEAL

A/N: I am very sorry for anyone who even remotely likes Statalie. I am very, very sorry.

The Gilbert House

To say that Natalie missed Scott was an understatement. She refused to get out of her bed at the Gilbert house no matter how much Alaric, Damon, Elena and Jeremy tried to convince her otherwise. She was laid there, maybe picking up a book or putting a sad movie on, which didn't make her feel any better. But after a a day and a half of being completely anti-social it was decided that she needed to come out and play, and there weren't many people that she loved enough so that they could get her out of such a dark spot in her life.

So, Alaric was given the job, which he was also happy about since he had spent way too little time with his daughter after she came back from Chicago. And he walked into her room, where there were some empty bowls that once contained ice cream that seemed to be the main substance Natalie fed on during those two days that her first love had been dead.

Alaric sat down on the corner of her bed, to which she responded with wriggling around and groaning as she didn't want to get interrupted in her wallowing in self-pity. "Hey."

"Hi." she mumbled, taking her covers and pulling them above her head so that she could avoid humanity.

"How you feeling?" the older one of the two asked, grabbing the top of the covers and pulling them down so they barely covered her shoulders.

"How does it look like I'm feeling?" she asked, scrunching her nose up at what she found to not be the most intelligent question she'd been asked in the last week.

"A lot better actually. You were a crying mess when you got home this Friday." he admitted, putting his hand on her shoulder as she started pulling herself up to sit up straight.

She pulled her knees into her chest as she rested her chin in between her knees, her gaze stuck on nothing as she stared blankly ahead. "Do you blame me? I lost him that night. They say it's a broken heart but I hurt in my whole body. And no one gets it so I feel like screaming because I don't have anyone to talk to. I just need to fix it, I can't just stay here and feel broken but I don't know how to fix it."

"Maybe it's not about trying to fix something that's broken. Maybe it's about starting over and creating something better." he advised as he couldn't bear to see this heartbroken look on her face that he had never seen before, not even when they thought they lost Isobel the first time, this was a whole new level of hurt as she always imagined that she could one day bump into him and they'd catch up, but that would never happen as death separated them. Always and forever.

"What could be better? Find a better person to love or a better way of handling it?" she asked, her gaze not moving from that one spot on the wall that for some reason kept her calm, because she knew that the atoms that was created that spot would live forever, something would last forever was exactly what she needed. "But I know who I am and I know what I want and I know what I don't. I don't want to be that girl that cries over the same thing. But,  the only way I can think of that makes me not dishonor him is remembering, and unfortunately, it hurts like a bitch."

"Natalie, look at me," he commanded, but she didn't listen. "You, look at me," he once again commanded and this time she complied. "Sometimes what you really need to do is move on. Scott is gone. He'll never be back. Don't hurt yourself by holding on to him. And don't hurt yourself by completely letting go. Because you loved him, and then he was gone and of course it's not easy. It's not supposed to be. But he would not want you to sit here when you could be out there and living your life. Because no one knows what's going on out there and if there is one person that people can count on, it's you. And they need you. Just because you've lost one person doesn't mean that everyone's gone. Don't lose them too by holding on to him."