The Last Day

CHAPTER 34: THE LAST DAY

The Salvatore Boarding House

Natalie, Elena, Stefan and Elijah had to talk about their plan, even if Damon was pouting because of them not getting assurance that Elena was 100% going to live either way. But they couldn't wait for him, the full moon was only hours away and they didn't know what full moon Klaus wanted to have the sacrifice by.

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah told the three.

"Natalie said that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus." Stefan said, trying to get confirmation that it was correct.

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline. The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it... He'll be a true hybrid." Elijah confirmed, although feeling as if the younger Salvatore  might need some more information.

Then Damon showed up, telling them that he was done with his sulking... kind of. "Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying." Elena shook her head at the elder Salvatore brother in disappointment.

"I'll write her a great eulogy." Damon smirked at the eldest humane brunette in the room.

"It's not happening, Damon." Natalie glared at him.

Stefan, always the peace-maker, decided that it was time to talk about the curse, now that it might be more important then Natalie, Elena and Damon's argument. "Alright, how do we break this curse?"

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know." Elijah said.

"The moonstone." Natalie broke into the conversation, showing her knowledge of one of the ingredients.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each." Elijah elaborated.

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena asked, desperate to know how her impending death would play out.

"The final part of the ritual," Elijah responded, taking a wooden box down from the shelf and into his hands. "Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger...to the point of your death."

Stefan's worry for 'the love of his life' was growing by the second and he needed to convince himself that she was still there, she was still breathing, she was still with him. So his hand grasped Elena's as quickly as he could, something she appreciated immensely. 

Natalie noticed the public exchange of affection, trying to glance away, but her gaze kept coming back to their intertwined hands. Three of the people in the room that wasn't Natalie noticed, unfortunately, the only one who didn't notice was Stefan himself.

Elijah grabbed something out of the wooden box and it was a jar, where the elixir that supposedly was able to bring Elena back to life was.

"And that's where you come in." Elena said, trying to get Natalie's attention of her holding hands with her boyfriend.

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation." Elijah told her, holding the elixir up for everyone to see.

"So I'll be dead." "And then you won't." Natalie finished Elena's sentence.

"That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" Damon asked as if the thought was amusing to him, although he was glaring at the only original  in the room before his gaze turned to Elena. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"