The End of The Affair

CHAPTER 39: THE END OF THE AFFAIR

Klaus's Car

There were some things people might not know about vampires. Like, as long as they drink enough blood they can eat regular human food. And, just like everyone else, vampires need to sleep. And that's where Stefan Salvatore was now, in deep sleep in the backseat as Natalie was left awake as Klaus was driving them somewhere she had no idea where was. She was currently looking out the window, her gaze studying the nigh sky as she tried to ignore the presence of the original hybrid.

"Now what is happening with you and Stefan?" Klaus asked her as he was driving.

"None of your business." Natalie answered, not even moving her head to look at him.

"It might not be, but are you sure falling in love with you dead sister's boyfriend is a good idea?" the blond male questioned.

Natalie took a deep breath, trying to ignore his questions. "None of your business." she repeated.

"Personally I prefer you with someone else. You don't remember but you were quite close back in the day." he told her, revealing some more of her past, something she's been dying to know about.

Natalie finally moved her head, turning to look at him. "What do you know about back then?"

"Oh, I know everything. From your family to how you died." he smirked, glancing at her for a moment before looking back at the road.

"Can you tell me?" the brunette asked, a frown on her face, being desperate to find out about how it all began.

"I can, but I think what I'm planning might be easier." he responded.

"And what's that?"

"I'm going to get your memories back."

▹▹▹

Chicago

The next day, Natalie and Stefan was still very awkward. They had no idea how to act around one another, and Stefan had a harder time as he had to convince Klaus that he was as emotionless as possible without actually turning it off. Klaus was incredibly amused by the whole situation, although not really knowing what happened.

"Welcome back to Chicago, Stefan." Klaus told the younger vampire as the two and Natalie walked out of his car.

"What are we doing here?" Natalie asked, confused as to why exactly Klaus would choose to go to Chicago of all places.

"I know how much Stefan loved it here. Bringing back memories of the good old ripper days?" the hybrid asked Stefan, smirking at him as he saw the other vampire's confused face, as if asking how he knew that Stefan spent those days in Chicago.

Stefan shrugged it off, knowing he had some kind of reputation in the vampire world, some people must have known he was being all ripper-y in Chicago. "Blacked out most of them. A lot of blood, a lot of partying. The details are all a blur."

"Well, that is a crying shame. The details are what make it legend," Klaus said before putting his 'story-telling-voice' on. "Word was the ripper of Monterrey got lonely, so he escaped to the city for comfort. It was Prohibition. Everything was off limits then, which made everything so much fun. Chicago was magical."

Stefan rolled his eyes at Klaus's intrusiveness. "Yeah, well, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I don't remember most of it."

"Going to get down to business, then?"

"Why am I still with you? We had our fun, your hybrids failed. I mean, don't you want to move on? And why the hell did you bring Natalie with us?" Stefan asked, his facial expression hardening as he mentioned Natalie's name.