Bad Moon Rising

CHAPTER 17: BAD MOON RISING

The Salvatore Boarding House

"Are you sure you don't want me to kill him?" Alaric asked his daughter as they were on the outside of the door.

"Nah, I staked him." Natalie shrugged nonchalantly.

"I don't think that makes up for him killing you." Alaric retorted annoyedly.

"The thing is, I came back. If I killed him, he wouldn't." Natalie smiled tightly.

"God, I hate it when you're right." Alaric sighed.

"But, I'm always right." Natalie asked, feigning confusion.

Alaric rolled his eyes and knocked on the door. Damon was of course the one who opened the door. "Thanks for coming, Ric, Natalie." Damon smiled slightly at them before looking solely at Alaric. "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee, bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?"

"Elena mentioned you needed our help." Alaric said, giving Damon a cold look.

"Yeah, we were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family." Stefan said as he walked in with Elena, smiling at Natalie slightly, who returned the gesture.

"Now, why would we know anything about the Lockwood's?" Alaric asked.

"Well, you wouldn't. But your dead, not-dead vampire wife might." Damon smirked at him.

"Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together." Elena elaborated.

"You said that she had spent years researching this town." Stefan said, bringing up that one night at the school where Natalie shot him.

"Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls rooted in folklores and legends. She actually used to tell them to me as bedtime stories. Which means that we used to think that it was all fiction." Natalie spoke up.

"Like that amazing vampire story." Damon said sarcastically.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" Elena asked, frowing as she waiting for her resonse.

"The lycanthrope." Natalie said after some thought.

"Wait, like werewolves?" Elena's eyes widened.

"No way, impossible, way too Lon Chaney." Damon dismissed the idea.

"Is it?" Stefan asked.

"Stefan's right. If werewolves are too Lon Chaney, then vampires are too Dracula. But here you are." Natalie retorted.

"I've been on this planet one hundred and sixty some odd years, never came across one. If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?" Damon asked.

"That's kind of why you want the research, right?" Natalie retorted.

"Why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked, stepping protectively in front of Natalie, making Damon roll his eyes.

"Because vervain didn't affect the mayor at Founders' Day but the Gilbert device did and it affected his son Tyler." Damon responded.

"And at the school carnival his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behavior when he fought with one of the carnival's workers. It suggests it's some sort of a supernatural entity." Stefan added.

"We were hoping that Isobel's research could help us figure it out what it is." Elena told her twin and her father.

"She's technically still missing, so all her things are still at Duke, so is her office." Natalie sighed.