Chapter 21

Hi everybody! I am really sorry that it has taken me so long to update. It will not happen for this long again. I really hope you enjoy what you are reading. Feel free to let me know what you think and all your ideas. Please Vote/Comment and let me know.

******************************************************************************************

Ever since the morning Thea had woken up she had not been able to sleep. Every time she closed her eyes all she could see was Brae turning into a wolf. That was four days ago.

Today Thea was finally allowed to go home. Part of her wanted to go home, but she knew when she did there would be no hiding from any of it.

All the memories from what had happened had come back in a rush. After remembering she couldn't look Brae in the eyes. He had promised to stay out of the hospital as long as she was in here but that would all end today.

Thea didn't know what she was more upset about, the fact that he was a wolf or that he had kept it a secret all this time. How could he have been able to lie to her for eleven years? What did that mean for there friendship?

Thea was also not talking to Wynn at the moment. Right before she had kicked Brae out of the room he had explained how half the population of town were wolves including the doctor. How could they all be living in this town so oblivious?

The only person she had seen since the first day besides her dad was James. She knew he was a wolf as well but for some reason he didn't scare her. It probably had something to do with the fact that he doesn't push and seems perfectly happy to just sit there silently.

"Hey sunshine, you ready to break out of here." James sauntered into the room with one of his rare smiles.

"No go away I am still hurt." Thea threw a pillow at him and turned away.

"You were never hurt they just wanted to observe you Thea. Get your butt out of bed." James reached over and pulled the blanket off.

Making a dirty face Thea pulled herself up. She knew the only reason she was still here was because they were watching her. She had heard snippets from the nurses about there never being a human before but she refused to ask about it.

"Fine we can go." Thea stomped out of the room. She knew she was being childish but she felt she warranted a little immaturity at the moment. Getting into James car Thea refused to look over at him.

"Are you going to be ok back home again?"

"I'll be fine." Thea mumbled.

"As long as the wolves stay away."

"Thea come on don't you think you are being unfair. I have been trying to be fair but you will have to talk about it eventually."

"I just don't want to know anything." Thea tried to make herself believe that. The truth was that since she had woken up she could feel her bond growing with Brae. Unfair as it was that she wanted nothing to do with him.

"I know you, you must be curious about something." James smiled kindly back.

"Well I do... want to know why..." Taking a deep breath Thea let her question out.

"Why do people say I am the only human?"

Laughing James looked towards her.

"Well that's because you are the only human, and I mean only. There have never been a human mate. None of us knew what to do when Brae first found you. A lot of us thought it had to be a mistake."

"So I am some sort of freak." Twiddling her fingers Thea thought that over. It was worst then she thought. Everyone seemed to have been discussing her.

"Well no. It has just never happened. You are special." James couldn't hide his little bit of confusion over all of this.

"Why couldn't he have told me then? I was a lot more understanding when I was a kid." Thea let out the root of her anger. She just couldn't understand the amount of lying that had been going on around her. Suddenly a whole lot made sense while other stuff became more confusing.

"We couldn't tell you. We have laws and boundaries we live by. Telling humans about us could ruin our world. When Brae first found you, nobody new what to do. They had to go to the top for instructions. It was decided you would not be told until you were of age and only if you could feel the bond."

Thea didn't know if that explanation helped at all. She suddenly realized how big this actually was, bigger then their small little town. Having that knowledge scared her a little.

"Only if I could feel some bond?"

"Yes we were all so worried, you have showed no signs of it. I think that's why Brae did what he did. To not have your mate, or to be kept from your mate. It would take down any man or...wolf."

"Will Brae get in trouble?" Thea didn't want him to be in trouble over her. Though she didn't want to be with him at the moment. She did feel this bond thing. Thea could feel it growing stronger everyday.

It felt like a physical thing inside of her calling out and doubling over in pain from their mate being so far away. Thea couldn't let it grow any further; she needed to stay focused and practical.

"How come I can feel this bond so strong now?" Thea knew she was letting a lot away with that comment but she had to know. What was so different about now?

"Well in your accident you were hurt, really hurt. Brae didn't know what to do. Seeing his mate lying there dying. He let instinct take over and marked you. It healed you immediately but that also means you are now a marked mate. There is no hiding from the bond now." James said that like he really didn't want to.

Thea knew she was asking too much of James. He was trying to be supportive and helpful. She knew who she should be asking these questions of.

"What do you mean mark me, what did he do?" Thea had to know that one. She tried to remember any werewolf books she had read but blanked on what it meant to mark.

"He marked you as his mate. You know bite you on your neck. It's the mark you have there." Uncomfortable with talking about something so private with Thea he started to stutter and blush.

"Brae bit my neck." Thea said reaching up and touching the only mysterious mark she had found following her accident. She had thought it was from the accident. Thea didn't know how to handle this new information on biting. Was it a sign of crazy if you went around biting people.

Sighing James stopped in front of her house. There was no way he was explaining that part of the bond.

Arriving finally back at home Thea braced herself with a huge lungful of air. She knew Brae was close she could feel him. That was another new thing since she had woken up. It was like she could close her eyes and pinpoint exactly where Brae was at any time.

Which is how she new he had been hovering around the hospital the last four days. He always kept his promise and never came in. Though Thea could feel him just outside.

The closer he was the more Thea could feel as well. At first it really scared her feeling all these outside feelings bombarding her mind. That was until she realized they were Brae's feelings. She knew he was hovering so he could feel that she was safe and all right, but she wished she didn't have to feel all of his sadness 24/7.

Walking towards her house. She could feel a glimmer of happiness mixed with apprehension coming from Brae. Taking one last lungful of air Thea stepped in the house and faced her mate.