Chapter 1

Joe Chapman sat on a ridge waiting for the herd of elk to make their appearance. The craggy outcropping of rock provided very little protection from the chilling October wind. A hint of snow carried in the afternoon air.

A movement on the hillside caught his attention. A lithe woman ran pell-mell down the mountain followed closely by the largest grizzly he had ever seen. He watched in horror as the woman sprinted down the hill with the bear close on her heels. She wasn't wearing a speck of orange that was required attire this time of year, at least for hunters.

Joe sat dumbstruck as he watched the scene unfold. His fingers gripped the rifle tighter as his breath caught in his throat and his heart skipped a beat. He instantly recognized the bear even though he hadn't seen the creature for seven years.

The woman skillfully dodged rocks, sagebrush and small trees as she ran. The massive grizzly was almost out of control as he followed, snapping saplings as he passed. The woman hooked an arm around a tree and used her inertia to change directions, moving across the hill toward a group of boulders and rocks. She ducked into the gathering as the bear thundered past.

With a roar that reverberated over the mountains, the bear skidded to a stop amid a shower of rubble and broken branches. The bear ran up the hill and began its frustrated demolition of the pile of boulders where the woman had disappeared. Joe was afraid to fire his rifle for fear the bear would become even more agitated and unpredictable.

He took his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed a number. "Hey, Smith. You'll never guess who I just saw in Grade Creek. Nope. Old Red has made his appearance again. He has a woman trapped in those huge boulders. Are you kidding? I'm not stupid enough to go over there by myself. I wouldn't even try that if I had an assault rifle. At the rate he is tearing things apart, she won't last too long in that pile. I'll be here." Joe hung up the phone and hoped that the woman could last where she was hidden. He knew he didn't have enough ammunition to defend her or himself for that matter.