Chapter 14

Joe climbed down from the wagon, satisfied that the straps holding Grace were snug. He glanced at Levi before heading to Sarah astride the horse.

He patted the horse's shoulder and placed a hand on Sarah's knee. "You okay?"

"You'll do great." He undid his belt and removed his knife scabbard, tying it to the saddle horn with a small piece of twine. "If the wagon starts to go or the horse stumbles or Levi or I yell, cut the rope. Don't hesitate."

She gulped and nodded, genuine fear reflected in her eyes.

Joe grinned up at her, displaying false bravado.

"But Grace..."

"Do what you're told. Let me worry about Grace. Got it?"

She chewed on her lip but nodded.

Joe smiled and patted her leg. "Good girl." He turned to Levi. "You ready?"

Levi nodded, swallowing hard.

"Good. Get the wagon moving."

Levi clucked to the team who moved forward, their muscles rippling beneath their coats. Joe watched in amazement as the team responded without the use of the reins. He picked up his line and wrapped it around the nearest tree, belaying it out as the wagon moved across the hillside.

"Hold up!" Joe shouted. "I gotta move."

Levi clucked to the team and they drew to a stop.

Joe watched, his jaw dropped to his chest.

"You gonna move?" Levi hollered.

"Oh yeah." Joe hurried to the next tree and looped his pore around it. "Ok!"

Levi again worked the team forward as Sarah followed behind, keeping the rope taut.

Sweat beaded on his forehead and ran down his back as they struggled to keep the wagon upright. The sun beat down on them relentlessly as they zig-zagged across the hillside.

Grace cried out as the wagon lurched into a badger hole.

Sarah squealed as the horse stumbled before righting itself. Joe looked up at the sun, high in the sky.

"Let's take a break after the next turn."

Levi and Sarah nodded.

As the wagon halted, Joe rushed to place rocks in front of the wheels to ensure it wouldn't roll down the hill. He turned to lift Sarah from the horse.

"You did great."

She smiled shyly up at him.

Joe looked down at her and winked. "Go check on your sister."

Levi bent over by the team, lifting each foot in turn.

"What do you think? Can we go for another couple of hours?"

Levi patted the beast's flank. "Yeah. They're all right. Do you think we can get down today?"

Joe shook his head. "It'd take a miracle."

"Then we pray for a miracle," Levi stated simply.

Joe scoffed and shook his head as he walked away. God doesn't care about us. IF there even is a God.