Chapter 42

Grace sat up long after her siblings had gone to sleep. She winked at Joe in the firelight. "Are you ready?"

He nodded. "Let's make some magic."

She grinned.

They moved quickly in the darkness, placing their packages under the tree. Hidden candies from the wagons. Blankets. Mittens. Shawls. Baskets.

Joe's eyes widened as the items seemed to multiply. "You've been busy."

"So have you," she whispered. "That's the last one."

He nodded. "Yeah. Get to sleep. They'll wake all too soon."

She smiled, the firelight glimmering across her features before she disappeared.

Joe slid his hand into his pocket, fingering the ring he had fashioned, praying she'd say yes when he asked the question in the morning. He pulled out the tiny circle and smiled. The blacksmith on his field trip to Fort Bridger had called it a "Rocky Mountain Diamond Ring". He'd claimed the ring had saved many a marriage. Joe could only hope the horseshoe nail would bring about a marriage, or at least a promise of one.

He tossed and turned all night, finally falling into a restless sleep just before dawn. Sarah's excited squeal wrenched him from the warm recesses of his mind. He blinked as he tried to focus on the room.

"Look! Look! Presents! It's Christmas! Mr. Joe! Grace! Levi! Look!"

Joe chuckled as Grace lit the lamp.

"Sorry. I thought she'd sleep longer," Grace said quietly.

He shook his head. "It's all right." He threw back his blankets and knelt next to the tree with Sarah. "What do you think? Should we open them now or after chores?"

"Now?"

Joe laughed. "Maybe just this once."

Grace settled next to the hearth. Steam rose from the coffee pot as the flames danced through the kindling.

Sarah sounded out the names on each gift before she handed them out.

Joe grinned as he unwrapped the new socks, gloves and scarf.

Sarah squealed with joy when she unwrapped the mittens and shawl he'd made. "Mr. Joe! I love them!"

Levi chuckled with his gift. "Grace, I think this one's yours." He pulled out shawl that matched Sarah's."

Grace handed him the hat and mittens she'd unwrapped. "Are you sure? That would look wonderful on you."

"Yeah. I'll pass."

All too soon, the gifts had been distributed. "Well, I believe it's time for chores. Sarah and I'll get breakfast."

"I, uh." Joe cleared his throat. "I have one more." He stepped to Grace and knelt in front of her. "Grace, I know I don't have much to offer, but my heart. I... I love you. Will you marry me?" He pulled the ring out of his pocket and held it up, before slipping it on her finger. His heart almost stopped beating as he held his breath, waiting for her answer. His eyes pleaded with her to say yes.

"Yes." Her eyes sparkled.

His breath left his chest in a whoosh as he jumped up and gathered her into his arms. Time seemed to stop as he kissed her, barely aware of Sarah dancing in the background and Levi cheering. "I love you."