Chapter 3

The great roar reverberated through the walls of the small home. Jim and Joe immediately grabbed their rifles and headed out through the storm. The pigs squealed and the cows bawled in panic. The roar sounded again, sending chills down the teens' spines.

"Chamber a shell and keep your gun ready," Jim whispered.

The swirl of white was almost blinding as the brothers made their way to the barn. The door hung on one hinge and swung wildly in the raging wind. A cow bellowed in anguish but the cry was cut short. Nearly through the door, the brothers had to jump aside as two horses raced from the barn, their eyes white and rolling with fright.

The rifles came up almost as one as the great, red beast rose onto his hind legs briefly before slamming its front feet to the ground as if in challenge. The two shots were nearly simultaneous. The bear roared in pain. The boys fired shell after shell until their guns were empty. The shots seemed to do nothing but anger the huge bear even further.

Jim pushed his brother to the ladder leading to the loft and boosted him up. The bear took two great leaps and knocked Jim to the floor. Joe scrambled up the ladder, screaming at the fire that coursed through him as the great, swiping claws raked his leg. He lost his balance and crashed to the ground. The wind was knocked from his lungs and he lay gasping for precious lungsful of air.

Jim rolled and grabbed a pitchfork as the bear rounded on his brother. Claws raked Joe's head and back. Blood spurted, speckling the walls with its crimson sheen. Jim's terrified and angry cry filled the air as he stabbed the bear with the metal tines.

Joe crawled along the floor until he found the rungs with his fumbling fingers. He inched his way up the ladder, his dripping blood pooling at the base of the ladder. As he reached the top, he felt the ladder shake as Jim scrambled up after him. Joe gasped in pain as he rolled into the loft and turned to help his brother up the last few feet. As Jim neared the top, the bear roared and stood on his hind legs, coming face to face with Jim. Joe reached out a bloody hand to help Joe. Fear and pain filled his eyes as the monstrous bear grabbed Joe in his great maw. The boys looked into each other's eyes for the last time.