Chapter 47

Joe saddled the horse before dawn. He grimaced as he looked down at his tennis shoes. His boots weren't dry yet. "Oh well." He jumped into the saddle and rode down the lane.

"Joe!"

Joe tugged at the reins as he shook his head. "What now," he muttered.

"Am I gonna hafta pull you out of the river again?"

"I'll be at the flats."

His father saluted and turned to the barn.

Joe rolled his eyes and nudged the horse forward. Sunlight peeked over the hills, lighting up the world as it reflected off the snow. He smiled as he rode through the fields. This is what he loved about the homestead. The still mornings where peace abounded. Worries floated away.

Joe, remember this. Granny said, patting his knee. This stillness is a boon to the soul. It uplifts and edifies when not much else will get through your shell.

Granny, I'm not a turtle, Joe laughed.

No. But you've created a shell for yourself. A wall. Protection against the people who would hurt you by what they say, how they react.

Joe hung his head.

It's not a bad thing, Joe. Everyone does it. We all need to figure out how to break out of the shell. Step away from our comfort zone. Live our lives without fear of what others say or think. It's what you think and what God thinks.

Joe snorted.

If you forget everything I taught you, remember this. Family is everything. You've got thousands of ancestors helping you through every step you take. Thousands of ancestors are cheering for you to succeed. Thousands of ancestors are putting their arms around you every time you are down.

Joe sighed as he remembered the day as clearly as today. He remembered the stinging barbs his father continually threw his way. He remembered the first week back to school when he was covered with bandages. The sympathetic stares. He remembered the day the bandages were removed. The stares turned from sympathy to horror. Taunts echoed through the halls. He remembered the day he decided enough was enough and refused to go to school.

You'll never amount to anything! You'll just be a glorified farm hand forever. You'll never go anyplace if you don't at least have a high school education.

Granny had been the only one on his side. Daniel, it'll be fine. We'll just homeschool him.

His father rounded on Granny. Who's gonna teach him? You?

Yes. You know he'll learn more without all the distractions.

Daniel threw his hands in the air. Fine. He's your pupil. Do not ask for anything from me.

Excellent. Joe, into the den. Let's get to work.

The horse picked her way through the boulders as they broke out of the trees onto the flats. Wind whipped the snow into peaks until they looked like waves on the ocean. Joe pulled the horse to a stop. "Which one is it?" He looped the reins around his arm and started poking at the rocks, trying to find an opening.

The sun was low on the horizon when his stomach growled. The horse nickered when he looked up. "Guess we should go back, huh? I didn't really bring anything to stay the night." He turned and surveyed the landscape. He'd worn trails through the snow that were already being filled in by the wind. He sighed. "I'll hafta come up with some way to mark these so I know which ones I've searched."

Joe brushed the mare, ignoring the footsteps that came up behind him.

"You made it."

Joe shrugged. "I guess."

"What, exactly, are you looking for out there?"

"A cave. A pile of rocks. A bear's den. Something." He patted the horse's flank then led her to the stall.

"Come over here."

Joe glanced at his father, his eyebrows raised.

"Just come on." He led the way into the office in the barn, flipping on the light. "For years, I've been tracking that bear of yours." He pointed at a map on the wall. "The red marks are where I've seen him. The orange ones are reports from other people that I couldn't verify for whatever reason. The blue pins are caves, hollows, holes. I'm assuming that's what you're looking for. The one on the flats is at the far end, near the road." He pointed at a pin. "I've seen him there several times. Since the bear is dead and stuffed, I don't see why I can't share this with you."

Joe's eyes widened as he studied the map. His fingers traced the trails between the pins. He looked down at the desk and removed a box of black pins. He replaced the red pins on the ridge and the river with black pins. "It's not there."

"I don't know what you're looking for, but I think that bear has something to do with it."

"I'm not sure either. The first portal was in these rocks." He pointed at the new black pin on the ridge.

"You're still sticking with the 'I went back in time' story?"

Joe ignored his question. "I met an indian while I was there who said he was on the flats. He saw me driving my truck when I went after the bear one day. That's the one I was looking for today. When I came back here, I fell in the river."

"Which is why you decided to go swimming in January?"

"January starts tomorrow," Joe said with a grin. "The passage isn't in the river either."

"Obviously." His father sighed. "All I ask is that you tell me where you're going. I don't wanna hafta look for you in all these places."

Joe nodded. "I can do that." He stepped closer to the map, studying what his father had created. He barely noticed his dad leave the room. "Thanks Dad," Joe said quietly.