Chapter 7

He finished wrapping the gaping wounds, wishing he had a needle and thread. "That's the best I can do until I can get an ambulance up here."

White canvass caught his eye as it snapped and billowed in the crisp breeze. Joe's eyes narrowed, "What in the..." Joe checked the young woman's pulse before he moved toward the flapping fabric. As he neared the object, an old-fashioned freight wagon came into view.

"What is going on? There's no way a wagon should be up here. All the sheep herders I know of took their flocks off the hills weeks ago." Joe stepped closer to the wagon but stopped short as sunlight flashed off the barrel of a gun poking through the canvass.

"Stop right there, mister."

Joe held his hands out with his palms up. A young boy leaned further out of the wagon. Joe's eyes widened at the youngster. "Don't ya come any closer, mister."

"I ain't here to hurt you. I'm just curious."

"Curiosity can be deadly."

"Very true. Don't let that rifle give you false courage though. What's a kid like you doin' in a wagon in the middle of nowhere?"

"We're headin' to our homestead. What are you doin' out here? I don't see no horse or a wagon. Heck, you don't even got a gun."

"Yeah. Mine was taken I think. Listen, do you have a phone? I left mine in my truck. I need to call a doctor for a woman that's been hurt by a bear."

"A woman's hurt?" Panic flashed in the boy's eyes.

"Yeah."

"By a bear?"

"Yeah. The bear is dead, but the woman is in pretty bad shape. Do you have a phone?"

"What's a phone?"

Joe cocked his head. "You don't know what a phone is? I really need to call for some medical help up here."

"Maybe the woman is Grace. She's been gone for quite a spell." The boy started to move out of the wagon. His progress was halted by a small hand on his arm and a frightened little voice.

"Levi! Don't go out there! That man is scary!"

Joe cringed. He knew his unkempt hair, ratty clothes, and jagged scars made him look like a monster.

"Sarah, I need to see if it's Grace. I'll be right back, I promise."

"We don't know if he's telling the truth."

"She's right by the spring, just down the hill," Joe supplied as he gestured down the rocky terrain. "You can see it from here."

"It'll be all right. I won't be gone long."

"But Levi, what if he's the charlatan that misled Pa? You know this isn't the right trail."

"Where is your Pa?" Joe asked.

Levi paused and gulped. He gestured down the hill as he climbed from the wagon. "He's down there. Let's go see if you found Grace. Sarah, you stay here."

Joe turned and started across the rocky terrain. The boy straightened his lanky form and moved to follow. Joe covertly watched the seemingly awkward boy move with speed and agility across the rough terrain.