Chapter 57

"Joe, can I talk to you for a moment?" Ashley's soft voice cut into their conversation.

Joe turned, his eyebrows raised. "Of course."

Smith nodded and moved into the gym.

She shifted her weight and clutched a book until her knuckles turned white. "I remember where I saw you before."

"Ok," Joe hedged.

She flipped open the worn book. "This is my great great grandfather's journal. We had the pages scanned and then we had it bound." She turned the pages until she nodded and handed him the book. "That's the one."

Joe looked at the page, feeling as if he had been punched in the gut. He looked at a drawing of himself, complete with scars. He shook his head. "I-I don't understand."

"I didn't either. Your story about the bear at the assembly and then some of your comments at dinner made me think. Grandpa Levi recorded some fantastical stories. I..."

Joe ran a hand down his face, not believing what he was hearing. "Levi?"

"I almost thought yours was just another one everyone told."

Joe took a step backward, sitting on the couch in the foyer. He flipped through the pages, taking in the drawings Levi had done. The horses grazing in the field. Sarah sitting under the pine trees by the cabin, scratching on the ground. He stopped at a drawing of Grace in her rabbit-skin shawl. He smiled. "Hey, Grace." He ran a finger over her hand. His eyes closed as he breathed a sigh. The horseshoe ring was clear on her finger.

"See? How did you know her name? It's not clearly marked anywhere in the book." Ashley sat next to him on the couch.

"Her name is Grace. Levi's older sister. I made that shawl for her for Christmas. And that ring..." The lump in his throat swelled, choking off his voice.

"But how?"

Joe shook his head. "I don't know."

She reclaimed the book, turning the pages. "He wrote a letter to a Joe. No one knew who Joe was." She handed the book back.

Dear Joe

It's been years since we last saw you. They've been both good and bad. One thing I'll tell you, if you ever read this, Grace is doing well. She refuses to move out of that blasted cabin. She insists you built it for her. As frustrating as she is sometimes, she is our rock, much like you were. She finds the good in every situation, like you did. Every bad situation has a silver lining.

The day you disappeared, I thought she'd die from grief. We all searched for you, but none like Grace. She rode the mountains and fields almost every day, rain or shine. She was a very happy woman despite missing you terribly. She lived a life full of love and laughter. She'll wear that ring you gave her until she dies.

I'm writing to let you know about a religion we found a few years after you left. It's called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It has been an amazing gift to us. A boon, in that its teaching are like a succulent fruit directly from God. Grace held onto the belief that families could be together forever, that you could be with her forever. I know not how it would work, but I believe that with God, all things are possible.

I wish we could meet again, so that I could shake your hand and adequately thank you for what you did for us. I will always consider you a brother, a friend. The best work partner I ever had or could ever hope to have. I learned so much from you, it is impossible to measure.

I must draw this letter to a close faster than I intended as my grandchildren are demanding my attention.

I wish you the best of everything.

Levi Higgins

Joe swallowed and looked up into Ashley's familiar but not familiar eyes. "You have Grace's eyes. I saw it when you put that shawl on."

She smiled. "You'll have to tell me of your adventures in the past some time."

"I'd like that."