Chapter 43

Joe could barely drag himself away from Grace long enough to do the chores.

"Congratulations," Levi clapped him on the back.

Joe grinned. "Thanks."

"So, what's the plan?"

"I have no plan. Maybe try to get to Fort Bridger in the spring. We may be able to find a pastor there."

Levi shrugged. "We'd need supplies so that'd be a good idea. It'd be quite a trip though."

"We'll figure it out." He patted the horse's flank. "I'm gonna go check the traps. I'll be back in a bit."

"Want me to go today? So you can spend more time with Grace?"

Joe reddened. "Nah. It'll be fine." He walked toward the house to retrieve his pack and rifle.

"Hey, Joe! The traps are that way," Levi hollered as he pointed into the woods.

Joe chuckled as he stepped through the cabin door. He grabbed his things and winked at Sarah as he grabbed a flapjack from the plate Grace had just set on the table.

"Hey. That's for breakfast."

"Just grabbin' one for the road. I'm headin' out to check the traps. I shouldn't be long." He placed a quick kiss on her cheek before heading out the door. He almost skipped through the woods, his happy whistle breaking through the quiet stillness of the morning. He reset the traps that had been sprung and collected rabbits. The rabbit in the final trap had struggled until it hung over the precipice. Water rushed along several feet below.

Joe grimaced. "Knew I shoulda moved this one the other day." He sloughed off his pack and rested it with his rifle by a tree. Ignoring the rocks and pebbles that cascaded into the water, he reached for the rabbit. "Come here, you."

His fingertips brushed the soft fur, causing it to spin out of his reach. He held onto a branch and leaned further, his fingers curling around the small creature. The bank gave way, dropping him into the abyss. Water lapped at his feet as he dangled from the thin branch. His eyes widened in terror as the branch snapped and popped beneath his weight.

"No." He swung, trying to land on the bank. His feet touched an icy rock but slipped off, swinging him out over the water.

"Aaahhhh!" He screamed as the frigid water closed over his head. He sucked in a breath as he broke the surface before tumbling through the rapids. His limbs refused to cooperate as he struggled toward the bank. Rocks seemed to pound into him, intent on grinding him to a pulp. Rainbows and stars flashed through his head as he spun through the water. He barely had the strength to drag himself out of the water onto the sand bar.

He coughed, fighting for breath as his lungs tried to expel the liquid. The breeze picked up, blowing it's icy breath down on him. He shivered uncontrollably, almost to the point of spasms as he lurched to his feet and staggered through the trees. Each step was a struggle as he willed his feet to cooperate. His fingers fumbled with the chains on the gate before he was able to swing it open.

"Joe? Joe is that you?"

Joe continued on his zombie-like path to the cabin. Strong arms wrapped around him, redirecting his path.

"Stoke the fire! We've gotta warm him up."

"Grace," he breathed through chattering teeth.

"Come on, son. We'll get you warm."

His eyes almost closed, welcoming the darkness that threatened at the edges of his mind.

"Joe, stay with me. Help is on the way. Honey, help me get his clothes off. Cut 'em if you have to."

Joe slumped into a chair, entranced by the dancing flames. He almost screamed as his feet were immersed into what felt like a pan of lava.

"It's cold water. It's not even warm," a woman's voice cried.

Someone patted his cheeks. "Joe. Joe stay with me."