Chapter 54

Smith slammed the tailgate closed once they had the cages loaded. "I'm sorry how that turned out. It wasn't what I expected to happen."

Joe shrugged. "It's fine. Kids are interesting animals."

"You handled it well. I really am sorry, Joe."

Joe smiled. "It's fine. Really. They had fun. They were engaged. They learned."

Smith drove in silence for a while. "I have another proposition for you."

Joe chuckled. "What?"

"It doesn't pay much. Actually, it doesn't pay at all."

"Ok. What is it?"

"I have to present survival skills to the Cub Scouts and the Boy Scouts. The young women's organization wants a presentation too. I'm trying to convince them to combine everything but the Cubs are dragging their feet."

"What day?"

"Tuesday."

"What time?"

"Cubs meet at three. The others at seven."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Do the presentation. I know a lot, but I'm not really that good. You have practical knowledge in that area."

Joe grimaced.

"Tell ya what. You do the presentations and I'll throw in an extra dinner."

Joe laughed. "Do I look like I'm starving?"

Smith chuckled. "No. I figured if it worked before, it might work again."

"Fine. I don't have anything else going on."

"Great. When we get to the office, I'll get you a copy of the pages and badges that are available."

Joe poured over the pages that night, making notes and jotting down ideas. He finally turned the lantern out well after midnight, satisfied with his progress.

Smith called Tuesday morning to ask if he needed anything for the presentation.

"Was that today? I thought it was next week."

"Don't tell me you forgot. I don't have time to..."

"Just jokin' with ya. I've got everything ready. Where do I go?"

"The church on main. At three. I'll be there a bit early if you need to set anything up."

"Sounds good."

"Thank you. Things have been crazy at work. I'm trying to convince my boss to bring you on earlier than September."

Joe chuckled. "That'd be nice."

"Maybe you could swing by before the scout thing and fill out an application. I think I could persuade him if he has something tangible."

"I can do that. So, one thirty or two?"

"I'll be lookin' for ya."

Joe hung up the phone and stepped outside to load his truck. His father sauntered over.

"Goin' out for more beer?"

Joe shook his head. "Nope. Applying for a job."

Daniel took a step back and looked like he'd been slapped. "Where?"

"With the Game and Fish. I helped with a presentation last week. They must have liked what they saw." He shrugged.

"Oh. Well that's good."

"Yeah. Gotta make an attempt at sobriety." He winked.

"If you get the job, it'd better be more than an attempt."

Joe chuckled as he turned to his dad. "I haven't had a drink in two or three weeks. Not sayin' I'm done, but I am trying." He clapped his dad on the shoulder. "I gotta go."

"Joe?"

Joe turned away from the truck to face his father. "Yeah?"

"What made you change?"

Joe swallowed the lump forming in his throat. "Grace."

"How?"

"Her journal. She begged me to be happy. I can't be happy in the bottom of a bottle, whether it be a pill bottle or a whiskey bottle."

"Those are deep thoughts."

"I watched Aladdin the other day with Granny. Bottles provide phenomenal cosmic power and itty bitty living spaces. I don't want to be a slave to the bottle. Poof, what do you need? I want to be my own master. I wanna be free, not chained to the bottle. I'm still trying to figure it out."