Chapter 2

Within a half hour, several dark green trucks appeared in the valley below him, making their way up the slippery, rutted road. Finally, they pulled to a stop next to him. Smith, the local Game Warden got out and approached where Joe was sitting. Smith crouched down next to him and watched the grizzly's frantic efforts.

"Are you sure someone's in that pile?' Smith asked.

"Yeah. But even if she was a figment of my imagination, that bear is too close to town for comfort. I remember what happened the last time he got this close," he said as he rubbed his leg.

Smith glanced down at Joe's leg. "Does it still bother you?"

"What bothers me more is knowing that stupid bear killed my brother and maimed me and was merely relocated. He should have been put down. If I had the firepower, he'd be singing with Satan's angels right now," Joe said with malice.

"Yeah. That wasn't my call," Smith apologized.

"I know."

"If he hasn't hurt anyone, he'll probably be relocated again. If he has, the laws have changed. I can put him down immediately, not that that would be a comfort to you," Smith said.

"I'll stay over here. I've had my fill of bears for quite a while," Joe said. "Besides, if he turns on all of you, you'll need someone to call for help."

Smith grinned. "We have a copter coming in for back up. You can ride over in my truck if you want. I'll even leave the keys in it so you can get away."

"Are you saying I'm a coward?" Joe asked.

"No. I wouldn't even want to see a stuffed bear after what you've been through," Smith admitted.

Joe nodded. "Have fun over there."

"I'll signal you when the bear is down," Smith said as he walked back to his truck.

The procession continued down the road and bounced across the sagebrush hills toward the angry bear and its quarry. The bear roared again, shaking Joe to the core.