Chapter 27

Joe watched Levi and Sarah scramble to gather their things and haul them into the cabin. He turned away and pulled his glove off, wincing as the already darkening skin came into view. He shook his head and pulled the glove back on. If I take it off now, I'll never get it back on. I've still got too much to do.

He stepped into the tent, surprised at how cold it was. "Grace, honey. It's time to go home. Let's get you inside." He scooped her into his arms and stepped out into the wind. She smothered a whimper against his neck. "I know, honey. It won't be much better in the cabin yet but I'm gonna stay up for a bit and chink some of the holes and maybe get a start on the hearth for ya."

Joe walked across the uneven ground and through the doorway. He shook his head as he remembered he hadn't made a door yet. He laid Grace in a fairly sheltered corner, making sure she was wrapped in the blankets before heading out into the storm. Trip after trip found him hauling supplies, firewood, and tarps into the cabin. Sarah had made a small fire in the ring of stones he'd set out to mark the hearth. Coffee was boiling and an appetizing smell wafted from the cooking pot.

"Smells great, Sarah."

She smiled up at him. Snowflakes fell on her face.

"How 'bout I get that thatch on?"

"That'd be wonderful. Maybe some of this heat would stay in."

Joe stomped outside and rolled up the willow mat. Levi appeared at his side. "Let's get this up."

"She wove it thick, that's for sure."

Levi grinned. "Yeah. She's good."

They hefted the mat onto the roof and rolled it out. Levi scrambled up and tied it in place as Joe handed up pine boughs. The next mat was a bit trickier because there wasn't any place to stand. Levi finally rolled it back up and screamed into the wind. "I'll tie it as we unroll it."

Joe nodded and held the roll in place as the boy carried out his plan. They both shivered in the cold as Levi jumped down.

"That'll hafta do for tonight. We'll fix what we can later."

"What about a door?"

"What pieces do we have left from that wagon?"

"The whole bottom."

The pair shared a grin. "Is it still together?"

Levi nodded. "Pretty sure."

"Let's get it."

They rushed off through the darkness and pulled the piece from the pile.

"Perfect. We'll need hinges."

"What about these brackets?" Levi fingered several at the end of the board.

Joe looked closer. "Those should work. Let's bring 'em and figure this out."

Sarah glanced up as they stumbled in. "What's that for?"

"It's a door," Joe said quietly as he noted the warmth that started to fill the room.

"Grace has been cryin'," Sarah said, a quiver lacing her words.

"Let's get this done and I'll see to her."

He and Levi nailed the pieces in place and lifted the door. Like the final piece to a puzzle, the door seemed to slide into it's slot. Joe moved a piece of firewood to keep the door from blowing open. He pulled his glove off his right hand.

"I'll make a latch for it tomorrow. How 'bout some dinner?"

"Thought you'd never say those words," Levi complained.

Joe chuckled. "You two get started. I'll see to Grace."

He knelt next to Grace and felt her forehead. "You're not hot. What's goin' on, honey?"

Her eyelids fluttered for a few minutes.

"Finally gonna wake up, honey?"

"Should you give her another pill? It's been almost a day since she got one," Levi asked.

Joe looked over his shoulder. "I'll probably wait. She seems like she's gonna wake up. If she does, we can really tell how bad she hurts." He turned back and ran a finger down her cheek.

He glanced over his shoulder before pulling the glove off his swollen hand, wincing as the leather grated against the skin. He wiggled each of his fingers and felt each bone, suppressing a groan as he pressed against the tender spots. Don't think it's broke.

The wind whipped outside, sending tiny breezes through the cabin. "Know how to make chinking?"

"Ma used to mix dirt and ashes and water into a paste," Sarah supplied around a bite.

"Got an empty bucket? I'll go out and get some ashes."

She pointed to a corner with a stack of supplies. Joe grinned and grabbed two on his way out. "Wanna close the door?"

The wind almost blew him backward as he stepped outside. He shivered, wishing he had put his gloves back on. He rushed to the dying fire and kicked the coals away before he scooped the ashes up. Heat from the buckets radiated up his arms as he hauled them back to the cabin. He kicked the door twice and waited for the log to be moved before he stepped inside.

"You're not gonna do that tonight, are you?" Levi asked.

Joe shrugged. "Probably just the one wall."

"Joe, you hurt your hand and you've been going nonstop for hours. You need a break."

"I'll take one. After I get that wall chinked."

"Next you're gonna say you need to get the fireplace done."

Joe nodded. "That too. But I don't figure that'll hurt to do tomorrow. I've a feeling this storm'll rage for a bit. Besides, this wall is the short wall. It'll help keep everyone warmer without all the breezes blowing through."

"Sarah, get the washtub. Seems he's determined and it'll go much faster if we all help."

Sarah nodded and retrieved the tub. "Dump those ashes here. Levi, the water barrel is just outside the door. I filled it yesterday."

Joe looked at her, confusion evident on his face.

She shrugged. "Figured that since you all were hauling wood, I'd haul the barrel over here and fill it up." She scooped up the loose dirt off the floor and added it to the tub, smoothing it with her hands. "That should be good."

She sloshed water into the tub, smiling as the ashes fizzled. She grabbed a stick and started to stir it into a thick paste. "This should work. Fill any large cracks with kindling or grass or straw first. Then add the chinking. When you get done with a line, smooth it with a damp cloth."

Joe moved to the wall, amazed that the bark had been stripped already. He turned, a questioning look on his face.

Sarah smiled. "I needed something to do while you were working. I figured I'd get a start on the insides. It's easier to chink without the bark on."

Sarah had insisted that they use up the rest of the chinking in the tub. "It'll go bad. Might as well use what we've mixed."

Joe was exhausted when they finished the wall. He collapsed by the fire, almost too tired to eat. He forced down a few spoonfuls then drank a mug of coffee before lying on his back and watching the smoke drift through the rafters and reeds. There was still so much work to do.