Chapter 28

Joe opened his eyes the next morning to a light dusting of snow. He grimaced then groaned as he tried to move.

Sarah glanced down at him from where she stood, applying more chinking to the logs. "Good morning."

"Mornin'. How long did I sleep?"

She shrugged. "It's well past dawn but not noon yet."

He rolled onto his side and pushed himself up. "Why didn't you wake me?"

She smiled. "Breakfast is still warm if you're interested."

He looked around the cabin at the snow. "Guess we didn't do too good of a job."

"Nonsense. It's much worse outside. I'm just glad you made sure we chinked the one wall. It would have been so much worse. Levi's hauling in a load of rocks from that stash you all made."

Joe stumbled to the fireplace and tossed back a cup of coffee.

"Grace woke up for a few moments this morning."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes. She couldn't remember where she was or that she'd been attacked. She ate a few bites and fell asleep again."

Joe nodded. "Good. Think I'll go help Levi."

A knock sounded at the door before Levi pushed away the log and wrestled a barrel inside. "I picked the flattest ones to start. Mornin' Joe. That hand is a mighty fine shade of purple."

Joe held up his hand and grimaced. "Yeah. Don't figure I broke anything."

Levi grinned. "Think you can help me build us a proper fireplace?"

"Absolutely."

"At least the inside portion. The chimney will be a work in progress."

They fitted rocks around the hole in the wall, sealing them together with chinking material.

"Sarah, how big do you want this?"

Sarah stepped closer and pursed her lips. "Grace'd be the one to ask. She's much better acquainted with a kitchen than I am."

Joe drew a line in the dirt, encompassing the fire pit they were using. "This too big?"

She took the stick and drew another line. "Something like that."

Joe looked at the rocks they had left and grabbed several. "How 'bout something like this? We make a low wall here. Say two or three rocks thick. And wide enough to either sit on or put a pan on."

She nodded. "I like that."

"Good. Levi, you heard the woman. Let's find a few more rocks."

"Ugh, more rocks?" Levi teased.

Joe stepped out into the storm. "We really should just bring all the rocks we have inside and spread them out. We can get the inside done today."

"Knowing you, we'll be doing the outside and building the barn today."

Joe grimaced. "Maybe part of the outside. But we do need to get the barn done before it gets cold."

"When will that be?"

"Hard to tell. Could be tomorrow, next week or next month."

He heaved several rocks into the barrel then moved the next barrel into place.

"We've got a good start on the meat with those two deer and the moose. We'll need to set some traps for rabbit and fish. And go out to the tree and collect what apples we can. They'll be all shriveled by now, but they'll be okay."

"Is that it?"

Joe shook his head. "No. The snow gets too deep here for the animals to forage for grass. So, we'll need to go out before the snow gets deeper and collect as much grass as we can. Hook up the oxen. Let's get this load hauled."