Chapter 32

Shadows deepened as he and Levi struggled to haul the heavy table from the barn to the house.

"Shoulda made it lighter," Joe complained as the rested yet again.

Levi chuckled. "Yeah. I'm glad we cut so much off."

Joe grunted as they lifted the table again. "Me too. Which way we turnin' it to get it in?"

"Uh, to the left."

"Your left or mine?"

"Mine."

Joe nodded as his back brushed against the door. "Down again."

"Yep."

He didn't knock as he swung the door open and immediately closed it again as he saw Grace's bare back in the washtub. He felt the heat rising up his neck. "Back up a bit. We'll haul the chairs over before we bring everything inside," he said as he pushed the table away from the door.

"Why?"

Joe spat on the snow. "It's apparently bath time."

Levi's mouth formed an 'O'. "Are you allergic to baths?"

Joe grinned. "No. Who was in the bath was the problem."

Levi elbowed him. "You allergic to girls?"

Joe pushed him into the snow, laughing as the boy toppled over. Levi spluttered, trying to spit the snow out of his mouth. A cold, wet ball slammed into his face.

"Now you've done it, Levi." He scrambled to make his own snowballs, launching them through the air almost before he was done forming them.

Levi whooped and hollered as the icy missiles flew across the clearing in both directions. Joe turned to access a better patch of snow when a freight train seemed to hit him from behind, sending him sprawling into the powder. Levi clung to his back as they rolled. A grin split Joe's face as he lay in the snow, his chest heaving.

Levi struggled under his back, laughing, "Get off."

"Oh, am I on you? I couldn't tell." He shifted his weight, grinding Levi further into the snowbank.

A wet mitten slopped across his face. Joe laughed again as he sat up.

He caught a glimpse of Grace's face as she ducked back inside the cabin. "The boss caught us. Guess we better get back to work."

"Spoil sport."

Joe chuckled as he helped Levi to his feet.

They hauled the four chairs to the door. Joe insisted Levi go in to make sure everyone was decent.

The door opened after a moment and Levi appeared an innocent smile on his face.

"What?"

Levi shook his head. "Nothin'."

"Why do I not believe you?"

"Let's just get this inside."

Joe breathed in the scent of apple pie as they hauled in the table. "Mmmm. Smells great."

He brought the chairs in and turned to go, but found the way blocked by Levi.

"What's going on?" Joe asked.

Levi looked at his boots. "Sorry."

"What?" He gasped as a bucket of water was poured over his head.

Levi grimaced as he met Joe's eyes. "That."

Joe held out his arms, water dripping from his fingers.