Chapter 29

Joe smiled as the finishing touches were put on the barn. They'd spent day after day tromping through the woods, falling trees, and hauling them to complete the structure. Levi had insisted on putting in a loft for hay storage. Joe had balked at the idea, knowing the addition would add more time to the project.

He dragged his weary body into the house, thankful for its cheery warmth. Delicious smells overwhelmed him as he sank next to the hearth. He groaned before looking around the sparse room. Sarah had hung blankets around the bedding to give Grace more privacy.

Joe glanced at the pot of willow bark tea that was steeping. She must have refused the pill again.

"Did you get the barn done then?" Sarah asked as she handed him a plate.

"Yeah. It's done."

"Good. Where's Levi?"

"He's bringing in the wood I chopped earlier."

"You figure we have enough for the winter?"

Joe shrugged. "Maybe. Depends on how cold it gets."

A blast of cold air hit him as Levi came through the door. "No fair eating without me."

Joe smiled as he sopped the gravy with a biscuit. He popped it in his mouth as Levi sat beside him.

"So we're going after feed for the animals tomorrow?"

Joe nodded as he chewed. "Figured we'd go out and see what we can get. The flats shouldn't be too deep yet. Wind whips across there pretty bad."

Levi handed him a blanket.

"What's this?"

"Open it," Levi urged.

Sarah grinned as she handed Levi a plate.

Joe set his plate on the hearth and unwrapped the blanket. The gun he'd found tumbled into his lap. A freshly carved stock had been fastened to the barrel.

He smiled with wonder as he turned the gun over in his hands. "Wow. This is great."

"I've tested it a couple of times. Fires true."

Joe grinned. "It's great. Thanks."

"Figured you'd need it if we're gonna go hunting soon. It's no fun passing the gun we have back and forth."

Joe hefted the rifle to his shoulder and squinted down the sights. "Thanks, Levi."

Levi nodded, shoving a bite into his mouth.

Sarah sat next to him, pressing a book into his hands. Joe glanced down. "Again?"

She nodded.

"Why don't you have Levi or Grace read to you?"

"They're not as good as you. They don't let me help."

Joe sighed. "Fine." He opened the book. "Where do you wanna read?"

She smiled. "Just somewhere."

She scooted close as he began to read, following along with his finger. "Here, you do it," he said as he pulled her finger onto the book. His lips curled into a smile as she moved her finger along as he read. "You know these words."

"And verily, verily I say unto thee..."

"Excellent. And this next word?"

Sarah sounded out the word. "I don't know, Mr. Joe."

He hugged her shoulders. "Yeah. You do. That was an good try though." He continued reading as the fire crackled, providing it's flickering light. "Fire's almost out. I guess it's time to go to bed."

He smoothed the moose hide on the floor and pulled his blanket off the chair.

"Mr. Joe? Aren't you coming to bed?"

He shook his head. "Grace is doing better. And you're all warm now so there's no reason for me to. I'll just sleep out here and take care of the fire."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm sure." He winked at her. "You wouldn't wanna hafta marry me."

She blushed and ducked behind the curtain.