Chapter 23

Joe rose just before dawn. Thick frost covered everything. He struggled to build a fire. The biting cold sapped the strength from his fingers. He finally coaxed a small flame to life and placed the coffee can next to the coals to heat the water for their coffee.

He fumbled through the collection of tools, trying to find a shovel or a pick or even a plow. He pursed his lips, afraid to ask if the tools were in the wreckage of the other wagon. He finally spotted a shovel leaning against a nearby tree.

Here goes nothing. He started the backbreaking task of breaking the frozen ground to dig the foundation. Wanting to build the cabin right, Joe was determined to haul enough flat rocks from the river to create a firm base to start building on.

He kept glancing toward camp as he worked, thinking he'd seen someone else awake. Sarah appeared next to him, almost as if by magic. He leaned on the shovel, catching his breath as she stepped closer.

She cocked her head from one side to the other as if contemplating some deep problem. "Why don't you light a fire over here?"

Joe shook his head. "It's plenty warm enough."

"Not for you. To thaw the ground. Light a fire where you wanna dig."

Joe's jaw dropped as he looked between her and the cabin-site. He let out a low chuckle. "I think that's a great idea."

She grinned and held out a small pail.

Steam rose from it as he lifted the lid. He looked up at her, a question in his eye.

"Thought you might like some soup."

"Thanks."

She nodded and skipped back to camp.

Joe ate quickly then gathered sticks for the fires. He set the pail by the fire. Holding a small torch in the flames, he looked into the tent. Sarah huddled next to Levi as he read to her. Grace lay next to them. He pursed his lips. Maybe I should cut back on the meds. She should be waking up soon.

Fire crackled on the end of the stick as he removed it from the flames. He grinned and silently thanked Sarah for the idea. A short time later, he used the shovel to move the coals and added more wood. The ground steamed as the shovel sank into it.

Caleb sank into a routine of shoveling, adding wood to the fires, and moving the fires. Sweat beaded on his brow despite the chilling wind. Finally, he stepped back to survey the progress he'd made. Just a little farther, I think.

He stepped on the shovel, intending to drive it into the soil. The blade stopped short of his intended target. "Blasted rocks." He moved the shovel and tried again with the same result. He tried again before moving several feet to the side. "How big is this rock?"

He shook his head and scooped the dirt off the rock. A grin creased his features as he knelt and brushed the dirt away. He looked between the new foundation and the camp. "Looks like Sarah'll get her wish."

Joe rolled the first log into the pit and shoved it in place. "Three more."

He got the fourth log in place just as the sun set. He groaned. "This is gonna take forever."

He collapsed next to the fire, his muscles screaming with exhaustion.

Sarah handed him a plate full of steaming stew.

He smiled at her and shoveled a bite into his mouth, blowing his cheeks as the meat burned.

"It's hot."

He nodded as he chewed and swallowed.

Levi handed his a rough stock when he put his plate down.

Joe rubbed his hands over the surface and pulled it to his shoulder. "This is great."

Levi shrugged. "I'm feeling much better. What can I do tomorrow?"

Joe worked his jaw for a few moments. "There are still logs that need planed. Grooves need cut so we can fit them together. I figured on taking the team to the other wagon and loading up what I can."

"I should go with you to help," Levi said.

Joe grimaced. "It'd be easier with two, but you still need to take it easy. I can take the team and pull a few logs closer to the fire so you can work on them where it's a little warmer."

Levi shook his head and tried to hide a wince. "Maybe bring Sarah with you?"

"No. She's too sick and getting worse. What I have planned shouldn't take too long. I'm gonna retrieve the supplies Grace cached. We shoulda picked them up on our way through. Then I'll see if there's anything left of the harnesses. Salvage any wood and spare parts I can, then come back. I was gonna spend the evening makin' a set of go-devils. With those, we can go get the logs I have cut and waiting to be hauled."

Levi grimaced as he stood. "I still think I should come with ya."

"And I think you should stay here. What'd happen if we got halfway there and you fell over with a headache? You can't tell me you fell better. I'd not get half what I needed done because I'd be stuck takin' care of you."

Levi growled and stalked into the tent.

Joe sighed. "Let's get to bed, Sarah. Got a big day tomorrow."