Chapter 4

A scream pierced the air. Joe shook his head, realizing the scream was happening now instead of in his memories. His eyes flew open and he refocused on the scene before him. The scream was that of a woman. The trucks were pulling closer to the raging bear. The men jumped from their vehicles and rushed the beast, rifles at the ready. Shots rang out from every direction. The grizzly roared and rose onto his hind legs, attempting to intimidate the intruders.

Joe's breath came in gasps as he relived those horrible memories. The setting was so similar to the ones flooding his mind yet strikingly different. The whole scene became etched in his mind as he watched the wardens shoot over and over. The grizzly roared again as he charged. A final shot sounded as the bear reached the nearest antagonizer. The hulking beast crumpled into a massive heap next to the warden's feet.

The man's chest heaved as he struggled for breaths that refused to ease his aching lungs. He collapsed to the ground and scooted away from the menacing form. More wardens rushed forward and continued to pelt the great beast with shot after shot until their guns were empty and they were sure the life had drained out of the creature.

Smith waved a hand over his head as the signal to Joe. Joe struggled to his feet, his limp evident as the fear continued to course through his body. He made his way to his truck and eased it toward the gathered men.

Joe ignored the furry mound as he made his way to the boulders. Crimson streaked the rocks where the bear had clawed. The grey-green sagebrush seemed to ooze as the drops fell to the rocky soil. Joe shuddered involuntarily. He wasn't sure if the blood was the bear's or the woman's.

Smith shook his head in bewilderment. "I don't know what we heard, but there is no one in that rock pile. I think we all need our heads examined."

"I swear, there was a woman," Joe started.

"I know. I heard her. That bear had some bloody fabric in his mouth too. But there is no one in there," Smith told him.

Joe sat on one of the rocks and again surveyed the scene. The warden that had come so close to death was finally able to stand on shaky legs. "Joe, I don't know how you survived that monster. I'll have to think twice before I head out on another call like this one," he said in a shaky voice.

"Yeah. He's not a nice one," Joe agreed.

The men struggled to load the huge bear into the back of a truck. Finally, with the help of a winch they managed to get the monster loaded. The poor vehicle labored as it made its way across the rough terrain.

Smith approached him once again. Joe sat on the boulder with his head in his hands. Shuddering breaths were the only indication of Joe's internal misery.

"Will you be all right?" Smith asked placing a hand on Joe's shoulder.

"Yeah. Just a lot of memories," Joe said quietly.

"It isn't easy to lose a brother, let alone a twin. Do you want more time or do you want to come down? I'm buying dinner tonight," Smith offered.

Joe shook his head. "I'm gonna hang out here for a while."

Smith nodded. "If you don't show up at the diner when we're there, I'll leave the ticket open so you can get a meal later on."

Joe nodded absently. Smith regarded him quietly before returning to his truck and following the men off the mountain.

Once he was alone, silent sobs shook his frame.