Chapter 22

Joe lingered by the campfire for quite a while as he planned what he needed to do the next day. He drew in the dirt by the campfire. "I've gotta dig out all that brush. Then dig the trenches for the footer logs. Then I've gotta notch things and wrestle the blasted logs into place. Wonder if that horse can pull or if I hafta use the team." His jaw worked as he sketched the cabin as he remembered it. "Where am I gonna get that huge hearthstone? The cabin was built on top of it. How did they haul it there in one piece?"

The scripture verse hit him hard. A house built on a rock. The homestead cabin had been built on a rock-the hearthstone. But how? Joe sighed in frustration. "I don't know how this'll work."

The fire crackled in response.

Joe shook his head. He banked the fire and ducked into the tent.

"You're really good at talkin to yourself," Levi wheezed.

Joe grinned. "Yeah. You're really good at sleepin all day too. How's your head?"

Levi groaned. "I feel like it's about ready to explode."

"Is the tent still spinning?"

"Only when I move."

"Want some broth or more tea?"

Levi shook his head and winced as he sucked in a breath.

"That's a no. Lie still. If you need me, you know where to find me."

"I heard you reading with Sarah."

"Wish you had something else to read."

"Pretty sure Pa had some books in the other wagon."

Joe chuckled. "Maybe I need to go on that salvage mission sooner than later, just so I don't hafta read that stupid book anymore."

"She loved it. She came in and went right to sleep."

"All it did for me was make me stew more."

Levi grinned in the darkness. "What's the plan for tomorrow? I heard your list but didn't hear what you decided."

Joe looked down. "I'm not sure I really made a decision yet. My first priority is to get that cabin built. At least assemble what logs we have here in camp. After that, I figure we need to salvage what we can before the weather gets too bad that we can't get out there. I've got a plan for some of the lumber from the other wagon. You ever heard of a go-devil?"

"No."

"It's a sort of sled thing you hook up a log or two and one animal. It drags easy. I figured we could haul more logs in less time."

"How many more logs do you figure we need?"

"It's hard to tell. I need to get the footings set and we'll go from there. I don't want you to do too much tomorrow. Maybe help Sarah cut up that deer I got tonight."

"I need to help with the cabin."

"No. You need to get that head feeling better. If you don't you might end up being out of the game until spring."

"It's not that bad."

"No. It's worse. Be good and take it easy for a few days. We'll get things done. Maybe you could work on carving that stock for the broken gun. That way, we'd have two rifles."

Levi sighed.

"We'll talk about it more tomorrow. It's too dark to do anything tonight. Get some sleep."