Chapter 11

Joe looked up at the dark sky as a snowflake hit his nose. He grimaced. Getting that wagon off the mountain is gonna be even harder now.

He threw another log onto the fire sending sparks up to meet the light snow. He got to his feet and stumbled through the darkness toward the wagon. He winced as he hefted himself onto the seat and reached inside to feel Grace's forehead.

She shivered against his warm touch. Joe fumbled for another blanket and threw it over her. "I've gotta get everything off the mountain today."

He almost fell to his knees as he climbed down. "Levi. Sarah. I need your help."

Levi snorted and rolled over. Sarah's head popped out of the blanket nest she had created. "What's wrong, Mr. Joe?"

"I need you to sleep next to Grace. She's freezing. Both of you."

Sarah nodded and nudged Levi. "Come on." She gathered her blankets and climbed into the wagon.

"Is she gonna die?" Levi breathed as the bed creaked above him.

"Not if I can help it. As soon as it's light enough, I'm gonna find a way off this mountain. No sense hauling everything up here when we're going down anyway."

Levi nodded before joining his sisters in the wagon.

"Tell me if she starts to get hot or thrash around. We need to keep her as still as possible."

"Yes, sir."

Joe again sat by the fire, drawing in the dust and muttering to himself. "If I do it this way..." He scratched the drawing out and started again. "No. This will work better."

His jaw worked as he drew, trying to picture the rough terrain by memory. The darkness faded as Joe finished whittling another pill into powder. He climbed into the wagon, still stirring the cup of broth.

Grace's vacant eyes followed him as her body shivered. Levi moved over to make room for him.

"What are you giving her?"

Joe glanced at the cup. "A pretty strong pain killer in that broth from last night."

"Is it like laudanum?"

Joe shrugged. "Sort of. From what I understand, it's stronger. As soon as I get done here, I'm heading out to make sure I remember the terrain right."

Levi nodded. "What can I do?"

"Stay here and keep that fire going. I shouldn't be gone long. When I get back, I'll need your help setting everything up."

Levi nodded before scooting next to Grace.