Chapter 52

Joe squinted his eyes as he stepped out into the brilliant summer sun. He'd spent hours pouring over the job boards at Workforce Services, applying for everything he was qualified for and some he wasn't. His neck hurt from staring at the computer screen for so long. He ignored the man calling his name, sure it was for someone else.

"Chapman!"

His head shot up as he looked around. He dropped his hand from the truck door as he saw Smith approach.

"I'm glad I caught you. How'd you like to make fifty bucks?"

Joe raised an eyebrow. "What do I hafta do?"

"Warren is out sick and we have an assembly at the school in an hour. I need an assistant."

Joe started to shake his head.

"You won't hafta say anything. All you hafta do is get the animals out of the cages and bring them to me then return them to their cages. I'll take care of the rest."

Joe's stomach growled. "Fifty bucks plus lunch."

"Done. Plus I still owe you that dinner from last fall."

"Okay. As long as we can eat before we go. I'm starving."

"Fast food okay?"

"Better than nothing."

Smith clapped him on the back. "I'll get you a better lunch later. My truck is over there. I'll be right back."

Joe climbed into the truck and glanced at the cages in the back. "What kind of presentation is this?" He asked as Smith climbed in and tossed a shirt at him.

"Gotta look official. It's just a wild animal presentation, local flora and fauna and stuff. Trying to get kids interested in the outdoors again."

Joe grunted as he stripped his shirt off and replaced it with the uniform.

"That looks good on you. Ever think of being a warden?"

"Not really. I don't have the education."

"We might have an opening this fall for an apprentice type position. The pay isn't much, but there are opportunities for advancement. Want me to put a bug in someone's ear?"

"I'd like that."

Joe almost bolted down the burger as they pulled into the school parking lot and backed up to a side door.

"You finish eating and I'll got check us in." He looked at his watch. "We still have about thirty minutes before we start. We should be able to set up pretty fast."

He shoved fries into his mouth and was just taking a huge drink when a knock startled him. He swallowed quickly, choking on the fries as he unrolled the window.

"You can't park here." A petite woman with dark hair stood with her hands on her hips.

"I, uh. I'm just the assistant. Smith is inside, checking us in. Uh. We're here for an assembly?"

She pursed her lips and squinted at him.

Joe swallowed again, trying to think of something, anything to say.

The side door banged open as Smith and another man stepped out and dropped the tailgate. "Let's go, Joe. We've gotta hurry."

"Okay." Joe opened the door, trying to avoid hitting the woman.

"It's okay, Miss Higgins. They've both checked out," the man assured her.

Miss Higgins huffed and moved back to her charges on the playground.

"Tough crowd," Joe muttered.

Smith chuckled. "You just need to learn how to talk to women."

"I prefer animals. They're easier to read."

"Ain't that the truth."