Chapter 37

Joe fought with the ox as he tried to haul the logs through the deep snow. He shivered with the breeze. "Come on, boy. We're almost back to the path. It'll be easier from there."

The ox moved forward as if an unseen hand pushed it. Joe grinned. "Good boy. Keep goin'."

They finally broke through the thick drifts back onto the trail. The beast picked up speed as it headed back to the warm barn. "Don't blame ya, boy. We've got a couple more loads to go."

A shot rang out, snapping Joe's head up as he warily surveyed the countryside. "Whoa."

Several horses broke from the tree line and barreled across the blanket of white. He watched in horror as the indians chased down their prey. He couldn't be sure, but the man looked similar to the one who'd visited the cabin earlier in the week.

A horse peeled away from the group and rode his direction. "Brother."

Joe smiled and nodded. "Brother."

"You hunted."

"Figures. I killed his brothers for laying hands on Grace."

"Your wife?"

Joe shrugged. "Not til we find a priest."

The brave nodded and wheeled his horse around and bolted back the way he'd come.

"Hup, there. Let's go home."

The ox didn't need any prodding as it moved down the trail. Joe left the logs on the sled and unhitched the ox. He coaxed the other ox into the harness and hitched him to the second sled before heading out for another load. The second trip took far less time. Joe looked at the sky and headed out for a third load.

As he pulled back into the yard, Grace stood outside, her skirts swaying across the snow as she stepped toward him.

"I got worried," she said.

"I went after another load."

"I can see that."

"Is everything okay?"

She nodded.

"Good." Joe watched her as she rubbed the shawl up and down her arms. "Go inside. I'll be in as soon as I turn him loose."

"Joe?"

"Yeah?"

"Did you mean what you said about me being your wife?"

He cocked his head. "What do you mean?"

"When you saved us. You said I was your wife."

"And you're wondering if I wish it was so?"

She nodded.

Joe smiled. "Yeah. I'd like that."

Grace dipped her head then turned and rushed back into the house.

"What was that about?" he asked the ox as he unhitched him.

Levi hobbled out the door, holding his ribs. "I thought you were gonna wait for me."

Joe waved. "Figured we had a good, clear day. Hauling logs wouldn't hurt. Seems we've been hunted."

"Oh yeah?"

Joe led the ox back to the pen, giving him a good pat as he closed the gate. "The indians chased him down. I'd suggest not going out for a bit."

"That bad?"

Joe nodded.

Grace came to the door and hauled in a few pieces of wood.

"You know, she hasn't worn a dress for over a year. She's wearin' it for you."

Joe lifted an eyebrow and grinned. "Ya think?"

Levi's face split into a wide smile. He winced as his lip cracked. "Yeah."

He stopped for an armload of wood before he stepped into the house. Grace sat in a chair, her injured leg propped up on the hearth. She winced as she gently rubbed it.

He dropped the wood into the box. "The cold doesn't play nice with injuries like those."

She glanced up and smiled. "You're right."

"You look nice."

She blushed. "Thank you."

"Mr. Joe, supper's ready."

"Sounds great. What are we having?"

"Deer stew."

"My favorite."

Sarah giggled. "I didn't cook this time. Grace did."

He smiled. "Still my favorite."

"Why?"

"Beats goin' to bed hungry."

After everyone went to bed, Joe went out to the barn to collect all the rabbit hides, hoping he could make something for Grace. He worked late into the night, stitching the hides into a pair of pants and a shawl. He made a smaller shawl for Sarah and a pair of mittens for each of them. He stuffed the projects under his bedding before he fell asleep.

He rose before dawn, stitching quietly until he heard someone stir. He stashed the items again and pretended to be asleep. Grace tiptoed through the room, adding wood to the fire and starting coffee. Joe smiled as he watched her work.

She glanced over and met his eye. "You're awake."

"Yeah." He sat up. "I was debating on going out to do chores."

She smiled. "It's still a bit early."

He shrugged. "Got a lot to do today."

"Don't go out without breakfast."

He rubbed his growling stomach. "I won't. How are you doing?"

She glanced over at him. "I'm fine."

He smiled. "Your leg and arm?"

"They hurt a bit but they're doing better every day."

"Any spots that hurt more than others?"

"I had Sarah help me doctor them they day before yesterday."

"Good."

"You're wondering about the rest of me."

Joe grinned.

"I like it when you smile."

"Where did that come from?" he chuckled.

Sarah rushed into the room and onto his lap with the bible. "G'mornin', Mr. Joe. It's time to read."

Joe cuddled her closer. "Let's get to it, then."

"Mr. Joe? When is Christmas?"

"Hmmm. I'm not sure."

"It's next week, Sarah," Grace answered.

She looked up, her eyes bright. "Are we gonna have a tree?"

Joe hugged her shoulders. "What's Christmas without a tree?"

"Can we get it today?"

Joe glanced at Grace who shrugged. "I don't see why not. Why don't you help with breakfast. I'll take Levi out to do the chores and then we'll head out."

"Yay!"