Chapter 46

Joe made his grudging appearance for dinner. He endured comments and snide remarks about his sanity. He almost grinned each time either Granny or his mom kicked his dad under the table. He breathed a sigh of relief when he finally escaped back to his room. His gaze kept floating out the window toward the tiny cabin under the pine trees. He could almost hear Grace's laughter as Sarah begged him to read yet another chapter and the scrape of Levi's blade as he carved another tiny animal.

His heart constricted as the vision closed. He fingered the bible and sat on his bed, reading the words that had become familiar to his heart. He closed his eyes and smiled as the vision again came to life all around him.

Granny's voice sliced through the apparition. "That's a sight I never thought I'd see again. You reading the bible with a smile on your face. I'd almost swear you had a glow around your soul."

His head shot up. His eyes begging her to understand.

She smiled as she settled on a chair. "Dear boy. Read to me. I do miss Frank reading to me every night."

Joe nodded. "Where do you want me to start?"

"Wherever you are is perfect."

Joe smiled as he thought of Sarah's finger following along as he read.

"I love happy memories," Granny said.

"Bittersweet memories."

He read as the light faded from the sky. Granny patted his knee as she rose and left the room.

He glanced around his room, wishing for the tiny cabin. Joe grabbed his backpack, filling it with a change of clothes and other necessities in case he was caught outside overnight or doused in the creek again. He crawled under the covers, making plans to find the rock pile. He'd even jump in the river again if it brought him back to Grace.

As the tendrils of light warred with the darkness, Joe rose and left the house. He saddled the gray mare and pulled on his duster over the wool coat.

"Where you going?" Daniel asked from the barn door.

"Out."

"You're chasing after foolishness. You're looking for a dream."

Joe shrugged and led the horse from the building. "Maybe."

"I don't know why you can't get on with your life."

"Like you have? Nothing's changed in the past seven years. Nothing. At least I'm trying. Have you ever loved anything you couldn't let go of?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. I forgot. Jim. You can't let go of him. You can't forget that he died and I didn't."

"Joe, it's not that easy."

"Exactly. I love her. I'll find her."

"Or die trying?"

Joe swung into the saddle. "If that's what it takes."

His father grabbed the reins. "Joe, don't do this."

"I've gotta try. Please understand."

His father swallowed and turned away.

Joe urged the horse forward, watching as his father's hand fell to his side in defeat. Joe nodded his thanks then clucked to the horse. Joe pictured the fields as they had been when he'd brought the wagon through them. They wound their way up the hillside toward the rock pile. Joe paused by the spring. He could still picture Grace laying there, broken and bleeding. "Please make this work."

He ground tied the horse. He paused for a moment as he glanced toward the ranch that was barely visible beyond the hills. He swallowed then ducked into the pile. The ground gave way beneath his searching hands, tumbling him into the frigid darkness. He landed in a heap, his breaths forming clouds in the semi-darkness.

"Please work," he pleaded as he crawled out of the cavern.

He blinked in the bright morning sun. The horse nickered at him. The breath he had been holding whooshed out of him. Sun glinted off the windows of the ranch house in the distance. Joe collapsed onto the ground next to the boulders, holding his head in his hands. "Why? Why can't I be with her?" He looked up at the sky. "You're never there when I need you."

The horse nudged his shoulder. Joe sniffed. "The river then." He caught the reins as the horse tossed her head. "I know. It's stupid." He swallowed and pursed his lips. "I've gotta try."

The sun had started on its downward path when Joe reached the river. He looked at the icy water and bit his bottom lip. He hung his duster and wool coat on a tree near the sand bar before riding to the overhanging bank. He patted the horse's neck. "If this works, go back to the ranch."

The mare nickered and nuzzled his arm.

"I know. It'll be okay."

Joe took a deep breath before plummeting into the water. He groaned as the dramatic temperature change stole his strength. He rolled and whipped with the waves, crashing into the rocks. His lungs burned. Strong fingers clamped around his shoulder, dragging him from the river.

"Are you dense or do you just have a death wish?" his father yelled in his ear.

Joe fought for breath as he lay on the sand. He panted as he peeled off his soaked shirt and fumbled with the coat his father handed him.

"It didn't work," Joe stuttered through chattering teeth

"Of course not. All you accomplished was getting cold again. You should be glad I was here to fish you out. You totally missed the sand bar."

Joe shivered. Snow crunched beneath hooves as the horse appeared on the bank.

"See? Even the horse knew you were in trouble. Climb on."

Joe struggled to his feet and into the saddle. His father led the mare back to the ranch. Joe collapsed to the ground in front of the house, his legs refusing to work. His father's strong arms wrapped around him, helping him into the house. Steam filled the air from the hot shower.

Joe didn't protest as the coats were stripped off and he was pushed under the hot spray. He gasped for breath.

"Just stand there and get warm. I'm gonna take care of that horse."

Joe fumbled with the zipper on his pants, trying to peel the jeans off. His father paused in the doorway, shaking his head.

"Joe! What are you doing?" His mother asked, her eyes wide.

"He fell in the river again. I swear, the boy has a death wish."

His mother knelt by the tub. "Hold on to the wall and let me help you with your boots."

Joe felt like a child as his mother peeled the boots and socks from his feet. Feeling was finally returning to his body when his father walked in.

"Care to explain?"

Joe shuddered. "I already did."

"Gah..." Daniel rolled his eyes and left the room followed by his mother.

Joe wrapped a towel around himself and fled to the safety of his room. He lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling for hours. How can I get back to Grace? There has to be another portal.

Joe sighed deeply, letting sleep pull him along as he drifted off to sleep. His eyes flew open and he bolted out of bed. "The Indian. The flats." A grin spread across his face. "I'll find it."