Chapter 55

"That was a great presentation," Smith said.

Joe shrugged. "Most of the kids had heard about everything from yours last week. It wasn't that much different."

"It was good. Ready for dinner?"

Joe raised his eyebrows. "Now? It's only four."

"If we wait, we'll run into the next time. If we go now, we've got time to actually taste our meal."

"Whatever." Joe chuckled.

"We're gonna meet a few of my friends."

Joe raised an eyebrow. "You tryin' to set me up?"

"No. Promised my girl dinner last week and got called out. Figured if I hafta buy you dinner, I might as well make it a good one."

"So, I'm the third wheel?"

"No. She's bringing a friend."

"It is a date."

"No. Well, only if you want it to be." Smith grinned. "Get in the truck."

Joe felt his heart race as the diner loomed in front of them.

Smith chuckled beside him. "You look like you're going to face a firing squad."

"I, uh. I haven't dated much."

"It's not a date. You're just hanging out with friends."

"It's a blind date and you know it."

"I'm buyin'. Quit complaining."

"I'm thinking prime rib, maybe some shrimp."

"Prime rib is Thursday."

"You'd think it'd be Friday night."

Smith laughed as they walked into the restaurant. He walked to a table and kissed a woman on the top of the head. "Hey baby."

"Hey. You know Ashley, right?"

Smith nodded. "Ashley. This is my friend, Joe. Joe, this is Ashley and my Melissa."

Joe nodded and swept the hat from his head. "Pleased to meet you." He ignored the shocked gasps from the other patrons as he sat down.

Smith filled the awkward silence as he chatted with the women.

Joe perused the menu, glancing at the two women from time to time. He had barely decided what to eat when the waitress arrived and took their order.

"Ashley is a teacher at the school. Third grade, right?"

Joe raised his eyebrows as he recognized Miss Higgins.

"We got off on the wrong foot. I come from a bigger town and when I saw a strange truck by the school with a man inside, I kinda overreacted," Ashley said as she blushed a pretty shade of pink. "I honestly didn't put two and two together with the logo and the assembly."

Joe gave her a lopsided grin. "It turned out okay."

"Joe was just filling in that day," Smith supplied.

"You don't work for the Game and Fish?"

"No."

"Where do you work?"

"I'm, um, between jobs." Joe shifted in his seat.

"Oh. What are you looking for?" Melissa asked.

Joe shrugged. "I'm pretty open at the moment. I've spent quite a bit of time at job services looking and doing some of their trainings and things. It's just a wait and see deal."