Chapter Seven: Can't Sleep

Remember, to vote :)

Okay, this isn't as long, but it's eventful. YAY! DAMON + LIZZIE FOREVER!!!

;)

Seven

                After that, Damon and I didn’t mention anything to do with it, well, except we flirted a lot around the house, which was so obvious. I remember on the Sunday night when I’d woken up at about midnight and gone downstairs to get a drink. He came downstairs whilst I was sipping on a hot chocolate I’d made and stood leaning against the doorway as I danced to a random song in my head.

                “Nice dancing,” he smirked when I’d turned to him and stopped abruptly, blushing. His eyes roamed up and down my body, then we made eye contact again.

                “Shut up,” I muttered, taking a sip of my drink.

                “I’m just saying,” he chuckled. He walked over to me and then stopped right in front of me, my heart raced once again, “school tomorrow, you should be asleep.”

                “I can’t sleep,” I admitted.

                “Neither can I,” he admitted, putting his face right in front of mine. My face burnt red as I stared into his eyes, then, naturally, my gaze moved down to his lips and back up to his lips. Looked like his did the same too as he started moving closer until our lips almost brushed, then I moved my head away.

                “I uh…” I stepped back and finished the rest of my drink before placing the cup into the kitchen sink and rushing off to my room. Yeah, so that was Sunday and he didn’t try anything like that after that, just flirted occasionally. Wednesday came around too quickly and I was stood at my parents’ gravestone on my own after the service had ended. Tears flowed down my cheeks as I hung my head in shame of their death, in shame that it wasn’t me, in shame that I wasn’t there with them.

                I didn’t care to notice the presence that had come to linger behind me until arms embraced me and I found myself being held by Damon. I knew it was Damon by the weird electrical feeling that seemed to go through my body every time he touched me and it made me feel so happy and warm and welcomed being within his arms. I was crying of course, rivers flooding from my eyes to make his shirt soaked, which was exactly what happened.

                “Come on, let’s go home,” he suggested, “I’ve bought chocolate cake.”

                I laughed through tears and stepped back, wiping my eyes. “Thanks.”

                With one look back at the grave, I made my way down to Damon’s car with him whilst he had his arm around my shoulders. After a silent journey home, which wasn’t far, we got out and went inside where I was greeted with lots of hugs from the family, then we ate and made plans to go to the Grand Canyon with the ashes to be set free. After dinner, everyone went their own ways and it wasn’t until around eleven o’clock that I found myself sitting alone at the breakfast bar whilst staring out the window opposite. Everyone else had gone to bed, well, that’s what I thought until Damon came down and leaned on the counter in front of me.

                “Hey,” he smiled sadly.

                “Hi,” I replied, looking at him in the eyes. We stared at each other for a few moments before he smiled and then went into the refrigerator and brought out chocolate cake wrapped in cling-film. Then, he placed it on the counter, took two forks out of a draw and the unwrapped the cake, passing me a fork.