Chapter 1

"Max!"

Hearing my name so loudly pulls me from this living nightmare and I look up in bewilderment. I have no idea how long my sister has been standing there.

"Sophie," I whisper, dazed.

"I've called you three times."

"Where's Josh?" I ask, now registering that he may still be in the house with the girls. Having phoned earlier I'd asked Soph to send them home. God! I hope they haven't witnessed any of what just happened.

"What?"

"Josh and the girls. Isn't that your car outside?"

"Oh. Yes. He left it for me. He took the kids home hours ago."

"Good. That's good." Pushing the chair from the table, I glance nervously in her direction trying to assess what's coming next.

"Max?" She glares at me puzzled. "You're my brother and you know I love you but I need you to be honest with me."  Reluctantly, I nod. I know she deserves an explanation. Frustrated, she takes a deep breath and runs her long fingers through her auburn hair then fixes green eyes on mine.

"What the fuck just happened?"

"Gracie's been arrested."

"No! Really?" Great! Sarcasm and anger to accompany her frustration.

I can't handle my sister when she's like this, swearing and angry. I need her onside because she's the only person I know Gracie will listen to. Well, her and Caitlin.

"Take a seat, Sophie." She sits as prompted at the kitchen table while I grab two glasses and Gracie's treasured Black Bush. I need a drink and I know Soph will too. Sitting down, I pour two large ones.

"Before I begin sis, I need your word that you'll hear me out before passing judgement on me." She takes my hand squeezing it. I don't deserve the sentiment but she loves me. Thank God, someone does right now.

"Gracie's innocent. DI Brooks knows it."

Her hand leaves mine instantly; she grabs a glass taking a long drink and I hope the whiskey kicks in just as quickly as her mood appears to have changed. Standing abruptly, she makes her way to the wall that's crowded with happy photographs of the four of us together; Gracie, Monty, Holly and me. I know what she's thinking and I can't bear to watch as she turns to face me.

"Of course, she's bloody innocent! But if the police know that then what's just happened here was a pantomime. Not to mention wrong!"

"I know what it looks like, Soph, but there's good reason for what happened."

"How could you know what it looks like? You buried your head in your hands for the duration of the whole sorry sight! What the hell were you thinking?"

"You said you'd listen. Please, I need you to." I sense her reluctance but she joins me at the table as I breathe deeply, preparing to defend my behaviour.

"When children go missing, those first hours and days are crucial and the odds of having a child returned safely are much higher than in later weeks. You know this, Soph. You've got kids. You read the papers."  She nods, knowingly.

"DI Brooks and I had a long conversation during the drive to Portsmouth. Remember Jonny's hire car was found near Arundel?"

"Yes."

"Well, he thinks that Jonny is desperate to move Monty. He knows he'll try again but not when he'll do it. Steve's worked on cases like this; just not any involving a grandparent taking the child."